Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

Mental illness and IT

This is a discussion on Mental illness and IT within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all, I'm just asking this for a friend but, just wondering if social anxiety would prevent someone from getting

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 06:43 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi all,
I'm just asking this for a friend but, just wondering if social anxiety would prevent someone from getting into being a Technical Support agent?.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2015, 06:49 AM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

It's the other way around.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 12-20-2015, 06:56 AM   #3
Registered Member

OH, and what does that mean?.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2015, 08:17 AM   #4
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Just kidding. Those that work(ed) in the field could explain. Only a mental health expert could truly answer your question.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 12-20-2015, 03:16 PM   #5
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64 10.0.19041.264; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekdestroy16 View Post

... just wondering if social anxiety would prevent someone from getting into being a Technical Support agent?.
Probably.

WebMD > Social Anxiety Disorder
Quote:
Social anxiety disorder, also called social phobia, is an anxiety disorder in which a person has an excessive and unreasonable fear of social situations. Anxiety (intense nervousness) and self-consciousness arise from a fear of being closely watched, judged, and criticized by others.

A person with social anxiety disorder is afraid that he or she will make mistakes, look bad, and be embarrassed or humiliated in front of others. The fear may be made worse by a lack of social skills or experience in social situations. The anxiety can build into a panic attack. As a result of the fear, the person endures certain social situations in extreme distress or may avoid them altogether. In addition, people with social anxiety disorder often suffer "anticipatory" anxiety -- the fear of a situation before it even happens -- for days or weeks before the event. In many cases, the person is aware that the fear is unreasonable, yet is unable to overcome it.

People with social anxiety disorder suffer from distorted thinking, including false beliefs about social situations and the negative opinions of others. Without treatment, social anxiety disorder can negatively interfere with the person's normal daily routine, including school, work, social activities, and relationships.

[ ...continues...]
Old 12-20-2015, 05:32 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

OS: WIN7 ULTIMATE - 64 bit (SP1), FIREFOX, ASUS G75 'ROG' laptop(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corday View Post
Just kidding. Those that work(ed) in the field could explain. Only a mental health expert could truly answer your question.
From the definition of the illness posted I can pretty well say that it would not be a good career choice, especially in one with a profound diagnosis.

The primary issues relating to computer user technical assistance come down to PEBKAC (Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair), and is often exacerbated by "One Delta Ten Tango" (1D10T) syndrome among the various computer users. In other words, you must be very confident and even more tactful when showing a computer user what they are "doing wrong" to precipitate the problem they are experiencing.

In my extensive experience, this can account for 50-60% of all technical assistance tickets. If it is not the user that has goofed, often it is a silly configuration mistake by a system administrator who restricts a user from doing something they should normally be able to do without incurring any dangerous outcomes.

Getting back to your original query, if a person has a fear of social interaction it would not be helpful in communicating TACTFULLY with the average computer user. In many cases it takes the "patience of Job" to deal with a problem and see it through to resolution!

Hope this is informative...

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

"Remember - HARDWARE is the part of the computer that can be KICKED!" - WIZMO
Old 12-21-2015, 05:37 PM   #7
Registered Member

Thanks guys, now I know it's not for me.
Old 12-22-2015, 03:54 AM   #8
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64 10.0.19041.264; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

You're welcome, and best of luck.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:00 AM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

OS: WIN7 ULTIMATE - 64 bit (SP1), FIREFOX, ASUS G75 'ROG' laptop(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
You're welcome, and best of luck.
If I may make a suggestion that comes to mind...

It may be that if the desired goal is to become involved in the computer arena, perhaps a position wherein you are building or configuring systems for others to use may be the right fit. Often this activity is done in relative isolation and can be quite rewarding when the finished product is tested and made ready for the final user. I once worked for a company that specialized in custom builds for corporate and gamer clients who wanted a specific configuration that was not readily available pre-made in the retail market.

Given the fact that I was operating on my own in a fairly quiet and controlled private space, it gave me a chance to work at something I loved in a time when I was experiencing a personal crisis. It involved very little interaction with others as the build specs were set out in documentary form and as long as I followed the specs, there was little contact with others. After having resolved my personal issues, I later returned to working with the public with a fresh perspective and renewed confidence.

For me it was a bit of cheap therapy when I needed it to get my head together after a bad emotional situation. I know many experience this at least once some time in their life!

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

"Remember - HARDWARE is the part of the computer that can be KICKED!" - WIZMO
Old 01-24-2016, 09:17 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekdestroy16 View Post
Thanks guys, now I know it's not for me.
Thought it was for a friend haha
Old 01-28-2016, 03:23 AM   #11
Moderator - Networking

Speaking directly from personal experience mate, no it won't.

There are lots of roles (especially within my sector) where the socially awkward among us thrive and can be better suited than most. If you're just starting out, unfortunately you'll have to grin and bare it until you get enough experience and qualifications to dictate your own working terms but it is definitely doable.

If you have any more questions just let me know, but I wish you the very best in whatever choice you make.
Closed Thread