Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

Just finished my first repair

This is a discussion on Just finished my first repair within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Figured this would be the right place to put this. I've been going to a local college to get my

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 08:51 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

Figured this would be the right place to put this.
I've been going to a local college to get my ICT(Information Communication Technology) Associates Degree. I've got a year behind me, and another year to go. I have already built my own gaming computer, and I'm fairly comfortable when it comes to the hardware side of computers(both desktops and laptops).
Anyway, I saw someone on FaceBook put a computer up for sale, she said she thought something was wrong on the inside, that it messed up after she dropped it, so she just wanted to get rid of it.
Well, I could tell by looking at the picture, she had a broken screen. So, being the nice guy that I am, I messaged her and told her what the problem was. She messaged me back and asked what a new screen would cost. I got the make/model # from her, and while I was looking up the screen, she asked if the keyboard could be replaced too. So I looked the keyboard up too, and messaged her with the links.
She then asked if I could do the repairs, and what I would charge her. She would order the parts, if I would do the repairs.
So, I gave her a price, and she agreed.
Now, it took about 3 weeks for her to get the money and get the parts in, but we kept in contact the whole time.
She came by and dropped it off today, and I told her I would probably get to work on it tomorrow, and have it ready by Monday.
Well, I had nothing else to do, and was bored...so, just to make sure I did it right, I looked up how to replace the keyboard and the screen online. Turned out to be simpler than I thought(I didn't know you could just push in some tabs and pop the keyboard up on an Acer), and it turns out I didn't have to take out any of the screws on back...even though I did before I looked up how to do the stuff.
All in all, took me about 2 hours. The computer started up, ran a windows repair, then restarted, and now it's working fine. Just have it sitting on the table, charging up the battery. Called her when I was done, and left a message. I imagine she'll be a happy camper.
Again, it was easy, fairly quick, and even FUN. Just hope I can get a job doing this kind of stuff when I'm done with school.
Thought ya'll might want to hear the story of my first repair, at least outside of the classroom. Hope you enjoyed it.
See everyone in the forums
Wolfman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2013, 02:38 AM   #2
Moderator, IT Pro Team
Certification and Career Expert

My System

Yeah, it's always good to see a smile on your customer's/friend's/relative's face when you fix their problem. Each repair is like a mystery just waiting to be solved!
Closed Thread