Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

Job Advice - Jump Ship?

This is a discussion on Job Advice - Jump Ship? within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey everybody, I should have posted this as soon as I found out, but better late than never. I have

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 11:39 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hey everybody,

I should have posted this as soon as I found out, but better late than never. I have to give my answer by 11pst.

I have been working as a computer tech for a small school district the last year. A few weeks ago I got a job with another district, and I just started 2.5 weeks ago. This district has a 'network technician' which you might say is 'above' me in pay, and then there is my boss above that (head of the tech department).

Well I had applied for a job at a local branch of a global bank at around the same time. They just called to offer me the position of Network Technician, though the duties consist primarily of tending a helpdesk.

I hate to leave my current position and employer just like that right after I started, it's just not cool. But at the same time, I feel there is more potential at the bank because it is a large organization with multiple tech departments.

I would actually like to be a software engineer, but if I end up finding a company with potential, I would be happy to climb the ladder and end up in database or server administration, something higher up. I feel that's something I may be able to do at this bank.

What is your advice, and does anybody have experience at either of these types of institutions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2013, 11:49 PM   #2
Registered Member

In my haste I forgot to add..
The pay is pretty much identical. However, the bank job is close to home where I wouldn't have to pay rent, so that would effectively be an extra $500 a month.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:17 AM   #3
Moderator, IT Pro Team
Certification and Career Expert

My System

It sucks for your current employer, but if you really feel that the bank has more potential, it's worth considering.

On the plus side, you're leaving early enough that you could leave the employment off your resume without creating an employment gap. On the minus side... IT is a relatively close-knit "family", for lack of a better term. People know people, and people talk... so good relationships are amazingly helpful and burned bridges are never as far away as you'd like them to be. Good relationships can mean more opportunities down the road (I've ended up working for two bosses twice each in four different companies). If the bank thing doesn't work out, you'll have at least one fewer "landing pad" to rely upon.

Not saying you shouldn't take the opportunity... after all, one burnt bridge isn't going to shatter your career, and $6000 extra per year is good money. Just making sure you make your decision with all the factors accounted for.

One other thing to consider is that "larger" isn't always "better". In fact, it can sometimes work against you. In a smaller company, you're often asked to "wear more hats" - sometimes doing advanced things that are typically entrusted to someone with more experience. In a larger copmany, there's someone who can do those advanced tasks... leaving the lower-level tasks for you to handle. And in a large company, there are almost always lower-level tasks to deal with.

Although I have occasionally contracted with larger companies, I've mostly worked for smaller companies with fewer techs, and what I mention above has absolutely applied to me. When I was a desktop tech, I was able to assist the server admin with things that needed doing... and when I was a server tech, I was able to assist the network admin with things that needed doing. As a result, I got a LOT of experience that I wouldn't have gotten had I been hired as an Exchange admin for a large tire manufacturer (yep, it is a brand you've heard of). Sure, I'd have known every little detail about Exchange... but gotten little (if any) knowledge of firewalls, routers, or anything else outside of Exchange.

Specialization in one niche might be something you'd enjoy... or you might prefer being a jack-of-all-trades, being able to work with a variety of technologies. But you're more likely to specialize working in a larger company, and you're more likely to have a varied skillset working in a smaller company. The "right path" is different for each individual. :)

Ultimately, you're going to make this decision on your own... but hopefully this gives you some perspective and insight to help you make that decision. :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2013, 08:37 AM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply I appreciate the time you took in your response. I've been going back and forth the last two days and am not really any closer to making up my mind. I have a couple hours before they call me back for an answer.

I want to take it, but telling my current supervisor is going to be hard. To top it off he is not here today dealing with a family emergency.

I'm leaning toward staying here a few months and seeing how things go, and not moving on unless it's for something that is clearly better.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:00 AM   #5
Moderator, IT Pro Team
Certification and Career Expert

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrK3 View Post
Thanks for the reply I appreciate the time you took in your response. I've been going back and forth the last two days and am not really any closer to making up my mind. I have a couple hours before they call me back for an answer.

I want to take it, but telling my current supervisor is going to be hard. To top it off he is not here today dealing with a family emergency.

I'm leaning toward staying here a few months and seeing how things go, and not moving on unless it's for something that is clearly better.
$6,000 is clearly better... but you'd definitely be trading the "devil you know" for the "devil you don't". This is one of those times you'd love to be able to peer into the future a bit!
Old 06-14-2013, 10:13 AM   #6
Gone | Not Forgotten

Do your parents want you back home ? An adult should be paying rent to your parents if they are employeed.

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:43 AM   #7
Registered Member

My parents would like me to be home but they support me either way. My dad, just like me, has been going back and forth on whether or not to do it..

I feel that if I decide to stay it's more out of guilt than anything. Had the offer been there at the same time as this one, I would have taken it no second thoughts.

Given that, my last conversation with my dad he said just take it, so I think that's what I'm going to do. I feel terrible, but I'm easily replaced..
Old 06-14-2013, 12:06 PM   #8
Gone | Not Forgotten

Most parents want to support their kids, but unless they are wealthy, you need to pay them like $50.00-$60.00 a week room and board. It is only fair.

Good luck.

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Closed Thread