Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

I've been thinking lately...

This is a discussion on I've been thinking lately... within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I've been thinking about what I want to do with my future. I have to go to college, I have

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 09:51 PM   #1
Registered Member

I've been thinking about what I want to do with my future. I have to go to college, I have to..unless there's some way to just magically jump into the IT field then throw it at me! I've been doing research on a few colleges for Network Administration (I've decided that's what I want to do, or something similar). It's what my dad does for a living, just in a much larger scale (hard to explain).

But I don't know where to start, what to do. I'm only 18, I can do whatever I want, I'm just lost
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2013, 10:35 PM   #2
Moderator, IT Pro Team
Certification and Career Expert

My System

Although degrees are nice to have, you don't HAVE to go to college to get into IT. Entry-level IT admin jobs don't require degrees. Having technical knowledge helps more than anything when you're just starting out.

A degree won't enable you to get a job as a network administrator. Only experience will do that... and to do that, you need to start out with an entry-level IT job.

Having a dad in IT can help you to get an IT job... but, I'll be honest, the times I've seen employees get family members hired, it's never ended well. If you can't imagine the varied and possible scenarios, let me know and I'll describe a few.

If you want to get an entry-level IT job, start looking for them and applying for them. While you're doing that, start studying for entry-level IT certifications, such as the A+, Network+, and Windows client certifications; I'd recommend pursuing them in that order. Don't wait until you're certified - start applying NOW. Every day you wait is one less day of experience you could be getting. As you get certified, add them to your resume and keep job hunting.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:54 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BosonMichael View Post
Although degrees are nice to have, you don't HAVE to go to college to get into IT. Entry-level IT admin jobs don't require degrees. Having technical knowledge helps more than anything when you're just starting out.

A degree won't enable you to get a job as a network administrator. Only experience will do that... and to do that, you need to start out with an entry-level IT job.

Having a dad in IT can help you to get an IT job... but, I'll be honest, the times I've seen employees get family members hired, it's never ended well. If you can't imagine the varied and possible scenarios, let me know and I'll describe a few.

If you want to get an entry-level IT job, start looking for them and applying for them. While you're doing that, start studying for entry-level IT certifications, such as the A+, Network+, and Windows client certifications; I'd recommend pursuing them in that order. Don't wait until you're certified - start applying NOW. Every day you wait is one less day of experience you could be getting. As you get certified, add them to your resume and keep job hunting.
I couldn't thank you enough for that information, I really really appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2013, 11:17 PM   #4
Moderator, IT Pro Team
Certification and Career Expert

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan4724 View Post
I couldn't thank you enough for that information, I really really appreciate it.
No problem - that's what I'm here for. When you become successful in IT, find a forum like this one and pass the information along.

One more thing I ought to mention - although a degree isn't required to get into IT, a degree WILL open up job opportunities for you later in your career, particularly when moving into management, supervisory, or other upper-level roles. If at all possible, go to college WHILE you are working so you can continue to build that experience that ALL employers desire.
Closed Thread