Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

it computer support training?

This is a discussion on it computer support training? within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Is there such thing at IT computer support training on the job? or am i expected to know everything walking

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 11:08 AM   #1
Registered Member

Is there such thing at IT computer support training on the job? or am i expected to know everything walking in to it...How do i get the experience i need to become successful in IT...think about volunteering at a computer store to try to get a feel for IT...I want to eventually work at an office an be in IT...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2014, 11:16 AM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Get some training for example A+ you can read the books CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, 8th Edition (Exams 220-801 & 220-802): Michael Meyers: 9780071795128: Amazon.com: Books
and volunteering would help you get some hands on experience not sure about stores but if you don't ask you don't get you can also see what local charity or other group around you has computers and might be grateful for some help.
and if you need more structured learning check local colleges or community colleges for courses.

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:20 AM   #3
Registered Member

well i have taken a class for hardware and software but dont feel comfortable in this field yet and feel maybe i chose the wrong one....i know more about networking and configuring routers and switches but was told i have to start in IT first...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2014, 11:26 AM   #4
Enthusiast

My System

yes there are jobs that are called trainee then something like IT support or entry level IT support or trainee tech support.

There are also jobs called trainee or entry level network support but generally you need experience fixing basic issues before getting anywhere near a network.

getting compTIA A+ and Network+ would be a good place to start. At least studying towards them or actually having those certs will show an employer your very interested.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:30 AM   #5
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

The A + should help get you more comfortable with hardware and N + is entry level networking again you can get books on it for Me I would need structure for networking as there is a whole lot to it and as I said N + is the start there are further rungs on that ladder ie CCNA,CCNP https://www.amazon.co.uk/Meyers%25201...ation+Passport
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...CompTIA%20CCNA
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...3ACompTIA+CCNP
Please note these are for example purposes and you will need further advice on which books on networking would be useful but that needs someone else's input since networking is not my strong suit.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:35 AM   #6
Enthusiast

My System

For network + is compTIA Network+ All in one exam by Mike Meyers and Network + by Todd Lammle.

Note ccna is for people who work with cisco kit already and the ccnp requires you to have a proven track record and actually apply and be accepted before you can take the exam.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:41 AM   #7
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

That was why I said rungs GBL steps up a ladder

Old 04-08-2014, 11:43 AM   #8
Enthusiast

My System

ah get ya, sorry aboot that.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:44 AM   #9
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Cool lol

Closed Thread