Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

IT Career advice

This is a discussion on IT Career advice within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I'm 27 and I have little work experience, I've decided that I'd really like to go into IT so

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 10:51 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello, I'm 27 and I have little work experience, I've decided that I'd really like to go into IT so I'm enrolling at my local community college.

I've done some basic programming before, I've used HTML and DrJava so I kinda understand the work involved. I really do enjoy programming however I've taken a class toward A+ and the hands on physical work is pretty fun too. Although If I had to say at this point I' enjoyed programming a little more.

However I hear that hardware based IT such as A+ and Security+ are HUGE now.

I'd like to go into web programming, like HTML, CSS, ASP.NET and Javascript but I'd like to know what has better job prospects, the hardware or software side of IT? What would be better for someone with no experience?

Also do you need to have a background in math to do programming? I've taken precalculus but really have no desire to take anymore math courses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2013, 04:11 AM   #2
Enthusiast

My System

first of all you really need to decide what you want to do. Never go into IT for the money because it could be a long time before you get a decent wage. Don't believe any of the crap you see where they say the average salary is xxxx because it's all BS.

Secondly experience is actually what counts not qualifications or certifications and someone with no experience should not be studying for security +. Security+ is designed for people with experience working in security already.

Thirdly most employers looking for a new programmer would be impressed by someone who has a portfolio of code rather than someone he did a bit of it at college.

Fourth you do not need a background in mathematics to be a programmer but in all honesty most programmers I know have an IT related college qualification or degree.

Fifth If you were to go into an IT support role you do not need a degree or any qualifications at all. As I said above experience would count more. For example someone with say six months experience working in best buy or pc world fixing problems on customers computers would most likely get an entry level IT support role over someone who has been at college for 2 or 3 years and has no commercial experience at all.

Six Do not believe that web programming is still well paid and the cutting edge of things because it isn't. That ended in the 90's.

Seventh Entry level certs such as A+, Network+ and a windows client cert along with experience will work wonders for a support job and you do not need to take classes for any of them. There are many ways to study for very cheap, I have the A+, Network+ and MCDST and I just got the books and studied and watched free videos for prof messer (use google). You can also get practice exams to gauge how your studies are coming. proprofs do free ones which are legit and boson do paid for ones which are far superior.

Eighth be aware of free training you find on the net (the ones I mentioned are legit) because these could be braindumps which are illegal material stolen from the real exams and if your caught using them or suspected of it your certs can be taken away and you could face legal action and all future employers informed.

Good luck.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:27 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbrucelee View Post
first of all you really need to decide what you want to do. Never go into IT for the money because it could be a long time before you get a decent wage. Don't believe any of the crap you see where they say the average salary is xxxx because it's all BS.

Secondly experience is actually what counts not qualifications or certifications and someone with no experience should not be studying for security +. Security+ is designed for people with experience working in security already.

Thirdly most employers looking for a new programmer would be impressed by someone who has a portfolio of code rather than someone he did a bit of it at college.

Fourth you do not need a background in mathematics to be a programmer but in all honesty most programmers I know have an IT related college qualification or degree.

Fifth If you were to go into an IT support role you do not need a degree or any qualifications at all. As I said above experience would count more. For example someone with say six months experience working in best buy or pc world fixing problems on customers computers would most likely get an entry level IT support role over someone who has been at college for 2 or 3 years and has no commercial experience at all.

Six Do not believe that web programming is still well paid and the cutting edge of things because it isn't. That ended in the 90's.

Seventh Entry level certs such as A+, Network+ and a windows client cert along with experience will work wonders for a support job and you do not need to take classes for any of them. There are many ways to study for very cheap, I have the A+, Network+ and MCDST and I just got the books and studied and watched free videos for prof messer (use google). You can also get practice exams to gauge how your studies are coming. proprofs do free ones which are legit and boson do paid for ones which are far superior.

Eighth be aware of free training you find on the net (the ones I mentioned are legit) because these could be braindumps which are illegal material stolen from the real exams and if your caught using them or suspected of it your certs can be taken away and you could face legal action and all future employers informed.

Good luck.
Thank you for the thorough, informative response. One other question I had was regarding certs like A+ and Network+. Do you need experience for these CompTIA certifications? My local community college is offering classes to prepare for CompTIA A+, Network+ and Security+ exams but I wanted to know if you need actual work experience first. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2013, 02:23 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundwaveHD View Post
One other question I had was regarding certs like A+ and Network+. Do you need experience for these CompTIA certifications? My local community college is offering classes to prepare for CompTIA A+, Network+ and Security+ exams but I wanted to know if you need actual work experience first. Thanks
Certainly not work experience for those exams but it would help. If you've been working with computers for a while A+ should be easy. It's all about the hardware with light networking and some client OS information.
Network+ just requires general networking knowledge. Take a look at some of the information available online and see if you know the content.

Free online training videos:
Professor Messer, CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Linux, Microsoft Certification Training

TSF does not support assistance through email or private messages, please keep all questions in the open forum.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:15 PM   #5
Enthusiast

My System

no you dont need experience and classes are never needed especially for entry level certs. JUst get the books and study and use prof messer.
Closed Thread

« A+ test. | PhD »