Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

Is It Possible To Use Dragon For...

This is a discussion on Is It Possible To Use Dragon For... within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, a bit over 10 years ago my dreams of entering computer engineering were squashed because of Dyslexia. I have

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 09:35 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, a bit over 10 years ago my dreams of entering computer engineering were squashed because of Dyslexia. I have "Output" dyslexia, which means it very hard to type or write want I want to say. Both my typing and handwriting are at extremely slow speeds with tons of spelling errors, but I can give an oral presentation quite well. Because of this I dropped out of C++ class because I couldn't handle the lab.
Someone recently suggested to me to use the program Dragon naturally speaking to get the code typed then copy and paste it. Do you think this is possible? I would love to learn a little bit of at least 1 kind of language that would supplement my ability to repair hardware or get me some part time gigs.
My ultimate goal does lie within hardware however. I'm looking to start my own small side biz for starters. I would love to be able to fix tablets, smart phones, computers ect. I have built and repair computers in the past, but I need to brush up with that as well. I know this probably wouldn't lead to a huge financial success, but I'm physically disabled and have restart my life again. However, what kind of short 1 time gigs are the way to start?
I'm more interested in acquiring necessary skills than certifications, although I know I will need those as well for a full time position.I am willing to learn most things on my own, but I was offered any one of the following courses to take free of charge in the Fall:

A+
Cisco Networking
IC3 (which I'm completely confused about its concentration)
Microsoft Office
MOS Certification
Network+
Security+
Web Page Design

Obviously, this is a complex situation and I'm very confused.Thank you for your opinions and ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2014, 08:30 PM   #2
Moderator, IT Pro Team
Certification and Career Expert

My System

The A+ would be the certification you are looking for with regards to fixing hardware. However, you don't need any certification at all if you're wanting to start your own side biz. Certification isn't designed to teach you concepts; it's designed to show an employer that you have a baseline level of knowledge. Sure, if you're looking for knowledge, you can get it by studying for a certification... just know that you don't have to GET the certification unless you want to work for an employer.

Keep in mind that certifications won't "get you skills". Nor will certifications alone get you noticed for jobs (with the exception of entry-level certifications, which will get you noticed for entry-level jobs - jobs that do not require experience). Entry-level certifications include the A+, Network+, and Windows client certifications. However, none of that matters if you're not going to work for an employer.

Being self-employed, you're also going to get a lot of requests for software-based support. I'd recommend being very familiar with virus removal and operating system tasks. Learning Microsoft Office is always a good thing. Basic networking is also worthwhile. Until you get a lot of experience, you're not going to be asked to do advanced security configurations or administer Cisco gear.

No idea about Dragon... speech-to-text programs were horrible in the past, and if my smartphone is any indication, it hasn't gotten much better. In any case, Dragon's not going to help you when you're diagnosing a customer's computer...

Regarding learning languages... techs don't generally program, and programmers don't do a lot of technical administration. The two fields are pretty separate. So unless you're specifically going into programming, there's no need to learn a language.

Hope this helps answer some of your questions!
Closed Thread