Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

I'm debating...

This is a discussion on I'm debating... within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I've been researching Network Administration for a while now. This college is quite close to me and they offer an

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 01:07 PM   #1
Registered Member

I've been researching Network Administration for a while now. This college is quite close to me and they offer an odd structure, it's half online and half on campus. But, one of my main concerns is what would I do after college? Where would I even start? I know you simply don't just get out of college and boom you land a great job, it's probably take years and years of experience to gain that sort of knowledge.

But what sort of jobs could I land right after college or during college?

I've seen the few they "claim" you can get:
Help Desk Technician $29,619 avg. starting salary
Production Technician $26,000 avg. starting salary
Technical Support $25,946 avg. starting salary

But how long would it take to work my way up? What's your opinion on the school? I have a meeting with a counselor next week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2013, 01:56 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

It would help to know which school to be able to offer an opinion.
Starting salaries are going to vary quite a bit by the area. In DC, New York or California the salaries would be higher than say a place like Missouri or Georgia.

As far as where you go out of school. You will typically start with an entry level/junior position. A lot of people start with help desk and move up from there. I would suggest getting an internship or working at geek squad (or similar) to get some experience with customer service and expand your knowledge prior to hitting the job market.

TSF does not support assistance through email or private messages, please keep all questions in the open forum.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #3
Moderator, IT Pro Team
Certification and Career Expert

My System

Take ALL salary claims with a huuuuuge grain of salt. That being said, the claims you posted are MUCH more reasonable than most I've seen (often making bold claims of $50-75K per year to start, which is nothing more than fantasy).

What do you do after college? The same thing you'd do before or without college: look for an entry-level IT job that doesn't require experience.

How long will it take? I've seen people advance in months, and I've seen people NOT advance after more than a decade... and from what I've seen, it has just as much to do with luck and right-place-right-time as it does with intelligence and aptitude (though those factors DO indeed influence your career progression). But if you're like most people, it'll take several steps (entry-level > desktop admin > server admin > network admin) and several years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2013, 10:23 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BosonMichael View Post
Take ALL salary claims with a huuuuuge grain of salt. That being said, the claims you posted are MUCH more reasonable than most I've seen (often making bold claims of $50-75K per year to start, which is nothing more than fantasy).

What do you do after college? The same thing you'd do before or without college: look for an entry-level IT job that doesn't require experience.

How long will it take? I've seen people advance in months, and I've seen people NOT advance after more than a decade... and from what I've seen, it has just as much to do with luck and right-place-right-time as it does with intelligence and aptitude (though those factors DO indeed influence your career progression). But if you're like most people, it'll take several steps (entry-level > desktop admin > server admin > network admin) and several years.
Do you think there should be anything else I should be taking related to that field? Such as get a certification in a certain topic, etc?
Old 06-22-2013, 11:22 PM   #5
Moderator, IT Pro Team
Certification and Career Expert

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan4724 View Post
Do you think there should be anything else I should be taking related to that field? Such as get a certification in a certain topic, etc?
You should start with the A+. But keep in mind that certifications also aren't required to get into IT... so don't wait until you've got the A+. Start looking for and applying for IT jobs as soon as possible. When you get the A+, add it to your resume and keep looking. If you want another certification at that time, go for Network+ and/or a Windows client certification. All of these certifications will be beneficial when applying for entry-level IT jobs.
Closed Thread