Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

I'd like some thoughts.

This is a discussion on I'd like some thoughts. within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'll try to make this as short as possible. Let's say I can't get into a University. That would limit

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
Registered Member

I'll try to make this as short as possible. Let's say I can't get into a University. That would limit me to an Associates Degree. My local community college offers an Associates of Applied Science Degree in "Computer Networking Technology".
To start off, I've always loved computers. For that reason I was planning to major in Computer Science. But I can't do that anymore. So, then I was going to try Web Development, I looked at the program, and quickly found out a degree in Web Development was pretty much useless as the program was outdated mostly and only taught the absolute basics, like HTML, PHP, etc... Which I'm learning on my own right now. Also seems a lot of Web Developers are free-lance and that employers think Portfolio>Everything else, including degrees.

So. Now I find Computer Networking Technology. My question is, with an AAS in it, would it be possible to get a job? I just want a job, you know? With something I'd be interested it. I know I need certifications. Could I at least, with the degree and certifications, start out?

Pretty much, should I just give up and find some job like Welding where I know I can get one because this degree is worthless or should I take it?

It's two years. And here it is. It seems to cover a good bit.

https://www2.prcc.edu/techprep/network.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2013, 06:40 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

If you're truly passionate about IT then I would go for it. You're going to have to start off at an entry level job (service desk/field engineer) but if you have the skills and the knowledge you can move up pretty quickly. Continue pursuing the certifications and get the job experience you need. Offer to shadow more senior resources on projects and learn from them.

TSF does not support assistance through email or private messages, please keep all questions in the open forum.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:48 PM   #3
Registered Member

Ah, thanks. And as I understand it, for more hardware oriented stuff you should get A+, and for Network oriented stuff you should get Network+ and CISCO?

I knew I'd start at an entry level job. But any job is better than no job. Everyone has to start somewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2013, 05:16 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

For entry level I would start with A+ (tech support, field support, etc). Network+ will give you a solid foundation for networking. The Cisco certifications should come after you have actual experience. I would also look at the entry level Microsoft certifications.

IT Certifications | MCP | Microsoft

Look at the MTA, and MCSA for Win 7/Win8

TSF does not support assistance through email or private messages, please keep all questions in the open forum.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:19 AM   #5
Enthusiast

My System

you dont need a degree to work in IT,
Old 10-20-2013, 07:22 AM   #6
Registered Member

So I hear. I hear employers care more about certifications than degrees. Then I hear the opposite. It can't hurt. The way I see it, I finish my degree in 2 years, get some certifications along the way, and more once I complete the 2 years. Then I should be able to, at the least, gain an entry level position.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:24 AM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

With the degree you'll get some experience. I personally don't look too much at schooling when I review resumes but if they don't have the work experience then it comes into play. For me work experience is much more important but for many companies, if there's no degree they just toss out the resume.

Old 10-20-2013, 07:45 AM   #8
Registered Member

Exactly. I'm just going to do the most I can do. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:42 AM   #9
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

You are on the right track and pursuing the degree certainly will open some doors for you imho!

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:02 AM   #10
Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALucard Fang View Post
So I hear. I hear employers care more about certifications than degrees. Then I hear the opposite. It can't hurt. The way I see it, I finish my degree in 2 years, get some certifications along the way, and more once I complete the 2 years. Then I should be able to, at the least, gain an entry level position.
wrong, employers care about experience.

Someone with a years experience in say fixing and supporting users will beat someone with a degree a million certs and no experience.

Make sure you get experience along with your degree and that will help.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:33 PM   #11
Registered Member

Thanks. And I take it it's certainly possible to gain experience and learn on your own before getting Certifications and Degrees, just as programming is? Because I'd love to get a head start and learn. Would make things easier down the road.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:38 PM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

You can absolutely learn everything on your own. There are plenty of resources available for whatever you want to learn. For A+ (and other courses) use this site:
Professor Messer, CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Linux, Microsoft Certification Training

Old 10-21-2013, 08:51 AM   #13
Enthusiast

My System

Yes you can get experience, even if you have take a job at bestbuy or even volunteer to get experience then do it.
Closed Thread