Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

I need opinions and advice on certification choices please

This is a discussion on I need opinions and advice on certification choices please within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello; Im currently just getting involved with the IT career. I'm not too sure what course would be more suitable

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 03:07 AM   #1
Registered Member

Question

Hello;
Im currently just getting involved with the IT career. I'm not too sure what course would be more suitable for advancing in this choice. I applied and got accepted into SAIT polytechnics for their Network Technician (NT) course, but I could also take their Information Technology (IT) course.

The NT is 1 year and pertains mainly to Internetworks, virtulization, CCNA security, data storage, and implementing Linux systems.

The IT is a 2 year program that outlines the essentials to computer hardware/operation/programming and introduction to networking + a major (computer systems, networking, software development, and telecom systems)

I have a great above average knowledge of computer systems, and some of the software/hard ware, a good knowledge of networking, but not that great with telecom/software development...

Sorry about the novel but any ideas and advice
Would be greatly appreciated :D

Thanks again;

Phaze
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2013, 08:23 AM   #2
Moderator, IT Pro Team
Certification and Career Expert

My System

You say you're "just getting involved" in IT. Does this mean you already have an IT job, or you're wanting to get an IT job?

Without knowing the particulars, the NT course looks to be OK, though a little slanted towards advanced IT work, which isn't what you'd start out doing. The IT course looks to be a bit scattered, as techs don't typically program and programmers don't typically do technical administration/support/networking.

In any case, a course is not required to get started or to advance in IT. Later in your career, a 2-year or 4-year degree will help you to get positions that would otherwise be unavailable to you.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:57 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks Boson for the information, I have had a few programming jobs working with computer based applications, but I'm more looking to further my chances of GETTING a decent IT job.

So NO I'm not currently working in the industry, but I figured if i can figure out the more technical stuff first it would get easier, and I would at least have a certificate under my belt rather then going into it completely green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2013, 10:16 AM   #4
Moderator, IT Pro Team
Certification and Career Expert

My System

A course certificate isn't going to mean terribly much to employers, but it is better than nothing.

Still, I wouldn't recommend pursuing a course if it means you're going to delay getting into the industry for a year... rather, I'd recommend it if you were going to do it in addition to working. After all, experience is what employers value, and someone with a year of experience is going to get a position over someone with no experience and a 1-year non-degreed course certificate.

Another thing to keep in mind is that advanced certifications (something altogether different from certificates) can work against you when getting your first IT job. For example, you mention the CCNA Security in your first post. This is a certification designed for people who are already in the industry and working with Cisco devices. So if you were to get this certification while taking the course, entry-level employers aren't as likely to hire you. After all, they don't need a tech who secures routers - they need a tech to do entry-level tech work. And companies who need router techs won't hire you based on the certification alone because you lack experience. So getting advanced certifications without experience isn't a good idea.

Hope this doesn't make things more confusing - I know it can be, since the terms "certificate" and "certification" sound similar but are altogether different... by all means, if you have any questions, please feel free to ask!
Closed Thread