Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

I need help starting my career

This is a discussion on I need help starting my career within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. So to start off I don't know exactly what I want to do in the computer industry, but I do

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 02:09 AM   #1
Registered Member

Thumbs Up

So to start off I don't know exactly what I want to do in the computer industry, but I do know it will be with computers. They are a strong passion of mine and I enjoy spending hours on them whether it be fixing error messages because my driver is out of date, editing videos to perfect the special effects, or just playing video games. The problem I have with choosing a specific job that I can focus all my energy on is the fact that I I've never done these jobs before. When I job search I see jobs like Security Administrators, Analysts, IT Support with requirements that look Linear-B and actually intimidate and scare me.

I currently work as a manager for Papa John's. This job is to help me out with paying for small bills while I go to college. I have thought about quitting and working for something to do with IT but all of the jobs (presumably) near me require specific knowledge that I don't know and/or a degree. So those seem more of a permanent than a temporary part time. I think Geek Squad might be hiring but I kind of despise that place just because it feels like they rip off customers for simple solutions. Usually if my friends or family need computer help with troubleshooting issues I do it for free just because I enjoy it or ask for lunch at burger king or dairy queen. I am currently studying Computer Science at MTSU, which will be almost my second year done coming up soon. The reason why I am not getting out of college to start entry level IT jobs is because my college is a free ride due to grants and scholarships, so I want to take advantage of this degree while I can for free. While I am finishing up my bachelors degree, I can also work on skills and different computer theories/courses to learn a bit more about this subject. I am currently working on a Programming in C diploma/certification on a free website that gives out certificates for all subjects. Though it feels cheap and slightly magic dust on my resume, it's supposedly credible for certification, I can put it on my blank resume, and it's just a little bit more knowledge in C++ that couldn't hurt me. I am also buying computer science books, well just one for my programming in c++ class 1 and 2. I plan on buying more, but just don't know where to start.

So here are my specific questions

-What did you do after high school?
-If you were me, what would you do differently?
-Considering my skills
(1-10, 1 being knowing of the subject and 10 being Nikola Tesla at computers)
Windows troubleshooting problems - 5
Adobe After Effects - 4
C++ Coding - 3.7
What should I branch off into next after working on these skills?
-What IT jobs are good credible jobs that would at least get me the foot in the door?
-What good books should I look into?
-Any recommended certifications to work on, not just for the title but to know of that area in computing?

Thanks for helping
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2014, 03:45 AM   #2
Enthusiast

My System

I don't do programming as it's one of those things that annoys me but what I can say is if you can code, you can create a portfolio of your code and with that portfolio of code send it out to prospective employers.

Whilst degrees and certifications look good what looks even better is that you can prove you can do the job.

There are many people with degrees who can't even spell or do simple mathematics and there are many people with certs who have cheated there way through them and don't know the back end of a server to the back end of a bus.

Experience is what counts these days in just about every job out there and experience trumps qualifications in every regard. The only thing that beats experience is experience + qualifications.

This is all I can offer because like I say I am no coder.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:08 AM   #3
Moderator, IT Pro Team
Certification and Career Expert

My System

You still haven't taken me up on my offer to do lunch so you can pick my brain. ;)

Here's my primary question: do you want to use your 'techie skills', or do you want to code?
Closed Thread