Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

How applicable is a college degree in CS ?

This is a discussion on How applicable is a college degree in CS ? within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, Thanks in advance for helping me out. I've been a programmer for about 17 years now. But I lack

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 07:06 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,

Thanks in advance for helping me out. I've been a programmer for about 17 years now. But I lack a degree in Computer Science. I have a BS in Information Technology but didn't take very many computer science courses. I do all Microsoft development. How applicable would it be to my Microsoft career to take computer science courses at a University ? None of the computer science courses would be Microsoft related, but would they still help my programming skills ? Or would it be just a waste of money. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2015, 09:10 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

If you've been programming for 17 years and kept up with current technology and languages I'm not sure it would be of any benefit. With that much experience I doubt any employers would care about the degree, they would only care about your skill-set. If you're looking to learn a new language or more advanced methods then just find courses that are specialized in what you're looking for. You might also want to look into developer certifications:
https://www.microsoft.com/learning/e...ification.aspx

TSF does not support assistance through email or private messages, please keep all questions in the open forum.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone with a college degree in computers, can you answer this?
My friend is taking a computer science course right now and he said he had to take a WPM test. I asked him if he had to type with that stupid proper typing posture, like pinky goes on A and ; and index fingers go on F and J, etc. And he said he had to type like that. Is this true? Because when I...
breebreebran31 Certification & Career 4 06-27-2013 11:06 AM
Where do I go from here? (IT Support)
I'm about to graduate this June, i left my part time supermarket job so i can work part time in a charity organisation as an IT Support assistant volunteer. I want to go into the IT Support career but i just dont know how to get...good at it? Do you learn troubleshooting problems from a book?...
TechFan1 Certification & Career 16 04-25-2013 10:01 PM
Carreer Path - College or Certifications?
Hey guys! I was just hoping for some career advice on a fellow computer lover. As of date, I've built my own computer from scratch, modded/gutted many computer (and parts) and I'm 17 years old. I have a strong passion for building, and working with computers. I'm also software savvy, not on the...
Josh V Certification & Career 15 07-02-2012 01:22 AM
Worth it to go for a computer related degree?
Right now I am attending Walden University. It's a online university. I go primarily for two reasons. One is I get a 25% discount because my wife goes there too and a year from now she graduates. The second reason is because we had a big family tragedy recently and I have to be there to cope with...
jc0481 Certification & Career 3 11-22-2011 05:47 AM
College Degree not as important as Certifications?
I have always thought that certifications hold more weight then a BA in computer field. If I have a BA for something non-computer related but certifications, am I just as qualified as everyone else or is this looked down upon? Please help guide me with the weight your major of BA matters. Thanks!
gock50 Certification & Career 4 08-13-2011 12:22 PM