Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

Help!!! Cheap universities for a future software/computer engineer in the US?

This is a discussion on Help!!! Cheap universities for a future software/computer engineer in the US? within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi! I'm a 25yrs old guy from Holland that finally decided to go back to high school this year and

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 01:40 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi!
I'm a 25yrs old guy from Holland that finally decided to go back to high school this year and fix my all my grades, and a my life which was a complete mess before.

Anyway, I'm moving to US this autumn and I got this dream about working in Silicon Valley in the future as some sort of engineer and I would love to be one of those guys that gets to work with technology and develop the future smartphones, computers or systems or whatever and earn some decent money.

So I guess I'm looking for a bachelor in software engineering or computer science and engineering this autumn.
Problem is that it seems like most universities cost way too much (+ 30k/year) for my budget and I don't know if a very cheap and unrecognized university will give me a too big disadvantage to compete in SV...?

Any ideas of a university (preferably in the California-area) that could give me a decent bachelor degree without huge costs?

I would love any sort of help. Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2013, 01:49 PM   #2
Enthusiast

My System

I don't live in the US so can't advise on Universities but did you know that Chicago and Texas are apparently the places to be now. That was according to my latest compTIA and Microsoft news letter.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:13 PM   #3
Moderator, IT Pro Team
Certification and Career Expert

My System

Degrees aren't cheap. And if you find one that is cheap... keep in mind that you typically get what you pay for.

Worse, California is more expensive than most, particularly when you factor in cost-of-living expenses.

Wish I had some good advice for you. If you were a US citizen, I'd recommend going to a state university and paying in-state tuition rates, which is about as cheap as it can get (which still isn't "cheap").
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2013, 06:03 AM   #4
Gone | Not Forgotten

Maybe start off with a community college for a couple of years,get like an associate degree then move up to a state university.

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:48 AM   #5
Registered Member

Be very careful of taking out a student loan.
Research it carefully.
You may qualify for a Pell Grant. ???????
Closed Thread