Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

Google will ban all Flash ads in 2017

This is a discussion on Google will ban all Flash ads in 2017 within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Google has announced that its entire advertising network, comprising of the Google Display Network and DoubleClick Digital Marketing, will be

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 11:17 PM   #1
Troubled

Google has announced that its entire advertising network, comprising of the Google Display Network and DoubleClick Digital Marketing, will be transitioning away from Flash-based ads to a 100% HTML5 solution over the next year.

The transition includes two firm deadlines: on June 30th, 2016, Google will stop accepting new Flash ads from advertisers; and on January 2nd, 2017, Google will stop displaying any Flash ads across its network. This means that in early 2017, Flash ads will effectively be banned from Google's advertising network.

There is one exception to this ban, and that appears to be video ads, with the AdWords Google+ page stating "video ads built in Flash will not be impacted at this time." Many video players around the web still rely on Flash, so it seems Google is waiting for more widespread adoption of HTML5 video players before it switches off support for Flash video ads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2016, 12:54 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to jimscreechy

Hmm I wonder what the reasoning is behind this decision. I seriously doubt it has anything to do with the best interest of the consumer.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:57 AM   #3
Elite Commander

My System

Send a message via MSN to VividProfessional

google run the world dont they?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2016, 12:54 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

I don't think your far wrong.

How you liking the F1 season so far? Looks like Rosberg is going to do the business. I can't wait till next season when the prospect of actual racing becomes a possibility.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:13 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimscreechy View Post
Hmm I wonder what the reasoning is behind this decision. I seriously doubt it has anything to do with the best interest of the consumer.

Flash requires a plug-in, HTML5 is a standard and is/can be part of the browser. Flash is proprietary owned/controlled by Adobe, HTML is a standard, so effectively open source. plus it seems to have a lighter load on CPU etc, as well as a slightly smaller file size.

In some cases it's a bit harder to block HTML5 without messing up the page itself. (google wants the revenue.)
Many parts of HTML5 (not all implemented) geolocation, camera/microphone etc, are a real boon to location targeted ads (Hey you're on 5th street with your GF, and just mentioned lunch, so why don't you try Steve's salamander souffle just one half block north?)

So for the most part, it's about an even break for the average user.
Old 10-12-2016, 01:01 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

My System

THanks for the informed response Kendallt.