Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

Gaining experience

This is a discussion on Gaining experience within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. So how do you gain experience when you are already employed? I work in a printing/graphics house that is a

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 05:04 AM   #1
Registered Member

So how do you gain experience when you are already employed? I work in a printing/graphics house that is a Mac OS based environment. I went back to school last year to earn my MIS degree because I have become relatively bored in my current position. I want to move out of my current role and advance my career either at my current company or somewhere else if necessary. I've read a lot of the threads on here and appreciate all the good advice. Unfortunately it is too late for me to do an internship somewhere. I need a way to gain experience while either on my job or outside of my job. We are not a huge company so we only have one guy that is a systems admin. I've thought about seeing if I can shadow him when we are slow and gain some experience that way. Ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2014, 07:21 AM   #2
Enthusiast

My System

Ask your employer or say to the systems admin that you are interested in the field and say that you will ghost the admin and work along side him/her even if it means working outside your contracted hours and tell them you will do it for free.

Watch what is done and ask questions.

If that isn't possible then ask at another company if you can help out or even volunteer at a charity to help out and whilst doing that may end up meaning that your on your own you must get some books and study and the techs biggest tool is this thing called google, plus there are forums like this.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:30 AM   #3
Moderator, IT Pro Team
Certification and Career Expert

My System

Other than what GBL recommended, the only way to get IT experience is by getting an entry-level IT job. That's how most of us did it. I didn't have an internship... I just got an entry-level job as a field service tech, going out and fixing PCs, printers, and the occasional server.
Closed Thread