Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

From PC TECH to ........

This is a discussion on From PC TECH to ........ within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I hope I'm in the correct area but my question is regarding how to transition from PC Tech to Network

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 08:43 PM   #1
Registered Member

I hope I'm in the correct area but my question is regarding how to transition from PC Tech to Network Tech? I've been a PC tech for the past 15 years, 11 of those are with my current employer and a networking technician position has opened up and thinking of applying. My problem is what do I need to know or what can I do to get some hands on knowledge since the interview consists of a hands on test that consists of a router, switch, and an ip phone. So I really need some advise and guidance from a pro. HELP!!!!!!!!

Help me I need help with how to transition from PC Tech to Network Tech? I've been a PC tech for the past 15 years, 11 of those are with my current employer and a networking technician position has opened up and thinking of applying. My problem is what do I need to know or what can I do to get some hands on knowledge since the interview consists of a hands on test that consists of a router, switch, and an ip phone. So I really need some advise and guidance from a pro. I am clueless as to how to even login into a switch, router etc... I've been a tech support for computers, laptops, tablets, and ipads. So I know how to troubleshoot when theres network connectivity problems but that is it. The position closes on August 8th so I would say I have about 3 weeks till the interview/hands on test........ HELP!!!!!!!!
Thanks in advance..... cv
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2014, 10:32 PM   #2
Moderator, IT Pro Team
Certification and Career Expert

My System

You can get hands-on practice if you know someone with some gear... but I'll be honest, it's not really something you can just snap your fingers and pick up within a few days. Imagine if someone with no computer experience asked you how to become a PC tech and wanted to know how to land a position in 3 weeks, despite having no computer experience whatsoever... do you think it's likely? Same thing here.

Network administration is typically a couple of steps up from PC tech, so you'd be attempting a pretty big jump up the IT career ladder. What I typically recommend is for PC techs to transition into a server admin role first, then over time, make the transition to networking. And that's what I'd recommend for you. It's pretty clear that there's no opportunity to do server administration where you are... if there were, you probably would have advanced by now. I know you probably feel comfortable in the company you've worked at for 11 years... but it might be time to make a lateral switch to another PC tech position, but one at an employer where you can get that server admin (or perhaps even a bit of network admin) experience.

Hope this helps. :)
Old 07-25-2014, 11:19 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thank you for your input I really appreciate it. That said, honestly at my job all of the network techs that have been hired are straight out of community college and no experience other than at the college. So that's why I was thinking of making the jump since at my job there is nothing else. I got in contact with a guy in my hometown who buy switches and routers at a bulk so he gave me deal. thanks
cv
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2014, 07:29 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlosvasquez96 View Post
Thank you for your input I really appreciate it. That said, honestly at my job all of the network techs that have been hired are straight out of community college and no experience other than at the college. So that's why I was thinking of making the jump since at my job there is nothing else. I got in contact with a guy in my hometown who buy switches and routers at a bulk so he gave me deal. thanks cv

Iam sorry high jackin your question Carlosvasquez96..but that's a really good question to ask..how come some folks get out of school and get the job right away in what they mastering for.?they don't even start from the bottom.(most of the times).
Old 07-31-2014, 06:08 AM   #5
Moderator, IT Pro Team
Certification and Career Expert

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlosvasquez96 View Post
Thank you for your input I really appreciate it. That said, honestly at my job all of the network techs that have been hired are straight out of community college and no experience other than at the college. So that's why I was thinking of making the jump since at my job there is nothing else. I got in contact with a guy in my hometown who buy switches and routers at a bulk so he gave me deal. thanks
cv
By all means, if you can make the jump there, then great. But hiring newbies straight out of school for network admin jobs is not the normal trend I've seen in the industry... not for the past 15 years or so, anyway. In the rare instances I've seen it happen, it's at a company that knows nothing about technology - and it shows in how they approach technology. Generally not a good place to gain experience, as you end up picking up bad habits.

Just my opinion based on what I've seen - use your best judgment. :)
Closed Thread