Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

Forks in the road.

This is a discussion on Forks in the road. within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am in my third year of a networking/telecommunications bachelors degree. I am 29, have a family with three kids

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 06:05 PM   #1
Registered Member

I am in my third year of a networking/telecommunications bachelors degree. I am 29, have a family with three kids and another on the way. I am working as a two way radio technician and I troubleshoot communications networks and install radio equipment and also work with networking repeaters to each other.

Anyways I am trying to break into the IT field, because I love troubleshooting and fixing computers and I want to take that passion and make it into a career. I taught myself how to build computers and have since built many for friends and family as well as solved many of their other problems, anything from malware/spyware to full OS installs ( I know real impressive huh :} )My problem you can see is that I have a family to support and so starting out at a help desk job is not an option for me.

My worry is that I won't be able to break into the IT field before I get out of school and then have no experience to show for to make my degree worth anything. My question is this, is it even worth it to try and break into the IT field at this point or did I miss the boat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2014, 06:47 PM   #2
Moderator, IT Pro Team
Certification and Career Expert

My System

I was 28 with a BS in Chemistry when I started in IT. I had been working with computers since I was 10, and I was the unofficial IT guy at work throughout the 90s. But I still had to start at the bottom - I made $11/hr (about $22,000/yr) in 1998 as a field service tech, and I didn't yet have a family to support.

The important thing to remember is that even though you have to start at the bottom, you won't stay there forever. With experience comes increases in responsibility and, more importantly, pay raises.
Closed Thread