Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

First helpdesk job. Need your input.

This is a discussion on First helpdesk job. Need your input. within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have no work experience in IT. I am A+ and N+ certified though I am pretty clueless in any

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 01:24 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have no work experience in IT. I am A+ and N+ certified though I am pretty clueless in any OS other than Mac OS.

How much of a problem is this going to be for a first helpdesk position? Should I lie and say I know the Windows OSs and see what happens? Or should I be honest and hope there is something available I actually qualify for?

And by "see what happens" I mean the possibility of being in a situation where I am expected to diagnose and correct Windows issues over the phone. Not gonna happen unless turning off the computer and turning it back on fixes it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2014, 01:30 PM   #2
Enthusiast

My System

If your going into your first job you will most likely be given training and you could be reading from and learning from a script for a while. Most companies will not just throw you in at the deep end and expect you to know everything.

If you do get into a situation where you don't know what to do ask someone who will. You wont get any points by annoying customers by fumbling or lying your way through a call.

If you don;t know what to do when your on the phone either ask the customer if they can hold on a minute whilst you ask someone or pass them onto a more experienced person.

If you do have this job then the people who hired you will know what your experience level is (unless you lied) So don't worry about it.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:44 PM   #3
Registered Member

Good advice. Thanks.

I will be honest and say that I'm proficient with Mac OS only, and familiar with the others. If I can't find work then I'll straight out lie!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2014, 02:02 PM   #4
Enthusiast

My System

If your looking for a job and you get one because you have lied, you will be found out and your name will get a bad rep.

Go for entry level positions and you will get training as by definition entry level means you dont know anything.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:06 PM   #5
Moderator - Games Team
Articles Team

My System

I agree with GBL; just be honest and let them decide. Employers, and everyone else, value honesty and should be more helpful/lenient towards you for it. :)

If I don't reply within two days PM me as I sometimes get busy and forget threads.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:56 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to jimscreechy

Excellent answer 'Greenie'

Additionally I would add not to worry about putting pressure on yourself to know everything, or what you think they want to hear/consider valuable. I have been in IT a long time and value the willingness of an individual to learn far more than what they currently know. Anyone with the right attitude can learn, often quickly with the knowledge applied particularly usefully.

If you lie now or begin you career with falsifications about your abilities, it will never stop. There will always be a job where you won't know everything and feel insecure so lie about it. As a Junior Tech, then 1st/2nd/3rd line and senior roles.

Instead set MS OS as a target to what you can achieve and keep your goals escalating as you progress. Let you potential employers know your strong in MAC OS but you don't want to stop there and fully intend to become an Expert in MS OS and you think this job will give you a good opportunity to achieve this. It mays sound crass, but it will do you far better service to show enthusiasm for potential than lie about your capabilities. As Greenie says, if you lie you'll get found out and then you'll be in the dog house... that's IF you manage to keep your job.

Screechy