Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

Entering IT

This is a discussion on Entering IT within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have decided that I want to enter the field of IT. However, I am having difficulty determining which path

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 07:28 AM   #1
Registered Member

Question

I have decided that I want to enter the field of IT. However, I am having difficulty determining which path to take. I have read that the Cisco CCNA Networking Certification is not enough to get a job on its own. I seek advice on what certificate(s) I would need to get started. I am looking at something such at support or networking.

There are so many questions in which I can find very few answers to. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2015, 08:45 AM   #2
Gone | Not Forgotten

Comp TIA Looks like the place to start, read here:

CompTIA A+ update - Tech Support Forum

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:49 AM   #3
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Network + is usually recommended to start with.

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2015, 07:12 PM   #4
Moderator, IT Pro Team
Certification and Career Expert

My System

I recommend starting out with A+ and Network+. I would NOT recommend starting out with CCNA, as entry-level techs won't typically be asked to administer Cisco gear. As such, entry-level employers won't be looking to hire CCNAs.

All that said, don't wait till you're certified to start looking. Start looking for entry-level tech jobs NOW. As you get certified, add the certifications to your resume and keep looking.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:47 AM   #5
Registered Member

Thank you all for your advice and guidance. BosonMichael, would you happen to have any ideas for where to look for entry level jobs? The things that come to mind for me are doing a google search and local classifieds.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:15 PM   #6
Moderator, IT Pro Team
Certification and Career Expert

My System

Monster.com, CareerBuilder.com, and Dice.com are all good places to start. There are plenty of other job search engines out there, however.
Closed Thread