Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

Does anyone here have a familiarity with Geeksquad?

This is a discussion on Does anyone here have a familiarity with Geeksquad? within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Sorry if this is the wrong section. I didn't really know where this would fit. But anyways I was on

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
Registered Member

Sorry if this is the wrong section. I didn't really know where this would fit.
But anyways
I was on stumble upon and I found a page that pointed out the incompetencies of Geeksquad. And one thing the author mentioned was that one of his fellow employees had asked him how to unplug a hard drive. This just seems completely preposterous because don't you need A+ certification or security+ or some kind of certification to work at geek squad? I would think someone certified would know how to unplug a HDD. Is this article a lie? Or are employees really this incompetent? Another thing he said was "sometimes they don't know what to do so they say there was a virus and wiped the computer clean"
But it's just an article on the Internet so I don't know how credible it actually is. Can anyone here confirm that they're really this inefficient?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2013, 10:13 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

OS: XP, Windows7-8, Server03, Server08, SBS2008, SBS2011, Server2012

My System

No, you do not need to have a cert to work there.
OVERLAND PARK Geek Squad Agent Job - KS, 66210

The guy may not only be new to computers but also new to the job, "just hired" fresh out of high-school trying to get into IT.

I would not worry over this as long as he is asking questions and is followed up by the more experienced guys, which he is doing, and not just trying to wing it.

I work about 60 hours a week and spend the rest of my time with Family and a couple of online communities, so please be patient when waiting for a reply
Old 05-17-2013, 08:01 AM   #3
Enthusiast

My System

Some of the people at places that have geeksquad or so called IT people will be people who are interested in getting into IT proper but some will be people with a slight interest in IT but more interest in being sales people.

I remember a few years back being in PC world and talking to one of their so called IT experts who was trying to sell my niece who was 8 at the time a system with a quad core cpu and 16GB RAM because it would help her with her maths homework. He also said the RAM would help store all her programs.

I promptly explained to him that he was talking out of his butt and explained the difference between storage and memory to him.

Then I built her a system that was suitable for her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2013, 11:45 PM   #4
Moderator, IT Pro Team
Certification and Career Expert

My System

Gotta start somewhere. And GeekSquad is a good place to get started. Get experience there, then move on.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:57 AM   #5
Gone | Not Forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbrucelee View Post
I remember a few years back being in PC world and talking to one of their so called IT experts who was trying to sell my niece who was 8 at the time a system with a quad core cpu and 16GB RAM because it would help her with her maths homework.
An 8 year old needs 3 things for math homework:

Book
Pencil and paper
fingers

Geek Squad is a good place to start if that is all you can find. Sort of like the
fast food place, better than no job.

My wife took her laptop to them, as she was too embarrassed to show it to me. It got backed up and reinstalled. I was not happy.

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Old 05-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #6
Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basementgeek View Post
An 8 year old needs 3 things for math homework:

Book
Pencil and paper
fingers

Geek Squad is a good place to start if that is all you can find. Sort of like the
fast food place, better than no job.

My wife took her laptop to them, as she was too embarrassed to show it to me. It got backed up and reinstalled. I was not happy.

BG
I hate these stores because they confuse people who dont know any better then confuse themselves and dont help the issues.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:30 PM   #7
Troubled

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbrucelee View Post
I remember a few years back being in PC world and talking to one of their so called IT experts who was trying to sell my niece who was 8 at the time a system with a quad core cpu and 16GB RAM because it would help her with her maths homework. He also said the RAM would help store all her programs.
If the cost & time to repair an O/S, remove malware & recover data makes the customer unlikely to pay for the service, they will lie and say the data was unrecoverable and offer to run a New Install.

One of my 1st real jobs was to repair a computer that came back to an auto body shop after being repaired by Geek Squad. They paid something like $130 to have the O/S install run from the hidden partition, overwriting all the "unrecoverable" data. I was hired to reinstall all the software (wireless printers, etc....) and during my repair I found the data and the O/S, recovered everything, etc....

On the other hand, I don't get too outraged over these kinds of situations. My feelings are that if a person goes to a big mega-mall, and migrates toward a big & glowing corporate sign like a moth to a flame, well they sort of deserve what they get. I don't patronize corporate businesses if I can avoid it, as a general rule. I'd rather have the decision maker look me in the eye and tell me how things are going to be, because he said so, vs. some young person reciting what their corporate manual tells them to say.

Would you like to buy a bag of M & M's for a dollar?
Old 05-18-2013, 03:40 PM   #8
Enthusiast

My System

I have no issue with someone learning what I have an issue is that a company is making someone a salesperson without the learning and giving out false and inappropriate information which generally involves the said company in making money on things it shouldn't.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:56 AM   #9
- Design Team
- Networking Team

My System

In my experience, GeekSquad isn't a place to learn. I've known a number of people who have been outright lied to regarding what is necessary to fix their machine. Their method is to use the fastest solution to extract the most money out of customers who don't know any better. I would avoid them as both an employee and a customer, but that's just my personal opinion.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:39 AM   #10
Troubled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjandr View Post
Their method is to use the fastest solution to extract the most money out of customers who don't know any better.
Perfect summation, in one sentence.
Closed Thread