Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

Differences Between Level 2 and Level 3 Support

This is a discussion on Differences Between Level 2 and Level 3 Support within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi All, I have been doing level 2 desktop support for almost two years now, and am thinking about what

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 05:07 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

Hi All,

I have been doing level 2 desktop support for almost two years now, and am thinking about what to do next. Logically, I thought trying to get to level 3 support might be a good next step :). My question is, has anyone switched from working at level 2 to level 3, and if so, how different is level 3 compared to level 2 in terms of the support you're required to provide? In what ways does it differ? What technologies would you want to know for level 3 that you might not necessarily be expected to know doing level 2 support? Is knowing VBScript and Poweshell a must (I'm trying to learn PS at the moment)? Do most level 3 people work with databases and other non-Windows operating systems such as Linux?

Thanks in advance for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2014, 07:03 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

It's really going to depend on the support being provided. Each above Tier1 handles issues that cannot be resolved by the previous engineer.

If you have a tier 3 group where you are now, find out what type of work they do or what the requirements are to move up.

In my previous jobs Tier 3 was the highest level of desktop support and those engineers had the most experience, the most certifications and handled the escalated tickets. The work wasn't that much different, the just handled the cases that the other tiers couldn't.

TSF does not support assistance through email or private messages, please keep all questions in the open forum.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] After pressing some key combo, I boot into emergency mode
I use Fedora 20. After pressing ctrl-alt-some function key, I entered emergency mode. Now every time I boot my computer, I enter emergency mode before I enter the normal OS. When I enter the normal OS there are no problems. How do I disable the auto-boot into emergency mode?
jengelhart Linux Support 26 07-25-2014 04:12 PM
windows running very slow with poor perfomance
hi :smile: after a fresh install of windows 7 my pc runs very very slow. iv updated all of the drivers and updated windows. i have run a performance test/CPU etc VERY POOR:sad: is there something i have forgotten to do any advice would be great
kev..uk Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support 5 06-28-2014 09:11 AM
Laptop Video Card crashes
Hello, my Dell xps l502x's geforce 540m frequently crashes when I play games, specifically mass effect 3, nfs most wanted and nba 2k13, the game freezes and sometimes it recovers back and i see a notification that (not the exact words) "nvdia graphic card has crashed and successfully recovered"...
IamXIII Laptop Support 15 10-25-2013 05:28 PM
Haswell i7 4770k hits 100C with stock clocks
Hi, I recently bought an i7 4770k and ran prime 95 on it. Whether I was using the stock HSF or an older tower HSF I have with heatpipes, it idles around 35C and hits 100C at load before the CPU throttles down. I haven't overclocked it and I was wondering if the CPU could be faulty. mobo MSI...
osterac Motherboards, Bios & CPU 33 06-21-2013 10:56 AM
Windows 7 BSOD - Memory management
Been getting BSOD. Sometimes twice a night, sometimes none. This hass been for weeks. Sometimes I get stuck in a reboot loop, sometimes it wants to run Repair, sometimes it wants me to choose safe mode/no safe mode. Pulled out two 1GB sticks of old dell memory yesterday when it was stuck in a...
dj-anakin BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs 7 02-21-2011 03:27 PM