Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

Comptia Security Plus

This is a discussion on Comptia Security Plus within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all--what is the best Security Plus study guide out there that will increase chances of passing the exam for

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 04:26 AM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via Skype™ to gdorlexa

Hi all--what is the best Security Plus study guide out there that will increase chances of passing the exam for the first attempt?

There are so many , it's hard to choose

Likewise for the CISSP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2014, 05:45 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

The best one is the one that works well for you. I would suggest:
CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-301 Study Guide: Darril Gibson: 9781463762360: Amazon.com: Books
or
CompTIA Network+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, 5th Edition (Exam N10-005): Michael Meyers: 9780071789226: Amazon.com: Books

You could also try:
Professor Messer's Free CompTIA SY0-301 Security+ Training Course | Professor Messer - CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Linux, Microsoft Technology Training

TSF does not support assistance through email or private messages, please keep all questions in the open forum.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:47 AM   #3
Enthusiast

My System

It depends on your experience level.

Security + isn't an entry level cert and isn't designed for someone who wants to be in security, it is designed for people who work in that area.

CISSP on the other hand is for security pros who have extensive experience in the area.

Security + is a grey area as many people get it without experience and just through study and it doesn't harm them when looking for jobs. However if you got CISSP with no work experience you would find it hard to get a job as its designed as I said for people with extensive experience.

The books mentioned are good ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2014, 08:20 PM   #4
Moderator, IT Pro Team
Certification and Career Expert

My System

I can't recall which Security+ book we used for a reference for our practice exam product... will try to remember to check tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbrucelee View Post
However if you got CISSP with no work experience you would find it hard to get a job as its designed as I said for people with extensive experience.
You can't get the CISSP without experience. Before you can even register for the exam, you have to submit your resume (complete with relevant work experience) and have another CISSP vouch for you.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:58 AM   #5
Troubled

You can register for the exam but you can't take it until the resume submission is given and accepted. This varies by submission-to-company. I have helped 11 people submit and pass this exam.
Closed Thread