Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

Comptia A+ vs Ccent

This is a discussion on Comptia A+ vs Ccent within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am looking to work in IT as a IT Tech Support get a basic role, I’m currently working in

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 03:43 PM   #1
Registered Member

I am looking to work in IT as a IT Tech Support get a basic role, I’m currently working in Customer Service, I was wondering what you think is the best path for Certification the Comptia A+ or the Ccent, which is one harder for someone with limited IT skills but keen to develop. Which one I could do quicker and which one is more useful for someone looking to get a role in IT Tech Support and then look to later build a career in Networking.

I read some of a Comptia A+ book a while back, I found it good, it is quite broad in the subjects it covers though, but I did enjoy the troubleshooting issues in it for Windows and Hardware. I found the difficulty alright some bits were tough, I never took the exam though, I want to get a certificate on my career asap though and get learning. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2016, 08:46 PM   #2
Moderator, IT Pro Team
Certification and Career Expert

My System

I would recommend that you pursue the A+. The CCENT won't be very useful to you at the moment. Newbie techs aren't typically given jobs working on critical network infrastructure.

In my opinion, the CCENT is poorly named, as entry-level techs see the word "entry" in the title and assume it is a certification designed for new techs. However, this is not the case; it is designed people starting to administer networks (not typically something you start out doing).
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CompTIA question
I am currently reading Comptia network book, i am sharing the information with you since i like to know how can i do this? “Comptia recommends you to have at least 9 to 12 months of networking experience and Comptia A+ knowledge, but this is not a requirement.” “You may not need experience or...
DeafJoe Certification & Career 8 01-22-2016 10:01 PM
Mike Meyers Discusses the CompTIA A+ Certification Exam
Mike Meyers, author of the best-selling A+ All-in-One Exam Guide, discusses some of the upcoming changes to the A+ exams. Mike Meyers Discusses the CompTIA A+ Certification Exam - YouTube Although CompTIA has not yet announced the release date for the new A+ exams (220-801 and 220-802), we...
BosonMichael Certification & Career 1 06-12-2012 09:28 AM
Taking the CWNA or CCENT instead of CCNA
I've read a lot of good posts about the value of getting a CCNA only if a person is using Cisco equipment and not as a prerequisite to getting a networking job. Certification as proof of experience and competence rather than using it as proof of theoretical knowledge. I think some people asking...
Lockheart Certification & Career 1 12-01-2011 08:50 AM
CCENT exam advice
I'm currently in the midst of studying for the Cisco CCENT exam and I want to know what particular advice you can give to me when studying for the exam? What are some of the topics covered in this exam and if there are simulations involved in this particular exam? After I passed the exam, how...
simon726 Certification & Career 2 09-29-2011 09:39 AM