Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

Changing Careers: Resumé

This is a discussion on Changing Careers: Resumé within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm new here... And new to IT in general. I recently obtained my CompTIA A+ certification and am looking to

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 12:22 PM   #1
Registered Member

I'm new here... And new to IT in general.

I recently obtained my CompTIA A+ certification and am looking to get a job in the IT industry. I should have my Network+ certification in a few weeks and I plan to get more certifications when the time is right.

I'm wondering if anyone has any resumé advice. Most of my job experience is in manufacturing and construction management. I'm just looking to get my foot in the door and trying to figure out how to portray that I'm qualified for an entry level job on a piece of paper.

What type of resumé format have you used? What's the best way to highlight skills over experience? Keep in mind that I'm not looking to become a Network Administrator over night. Just looking for an opportunity to get in the door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

What is your degree in?

If none of your previous jobs had any IT foundation I would recommend putting a list of your skills at the top (below the summary) and include information regarding your IT experiences (outside of work) as part of the summary. Put education (if it's in IT) and certifications/training above the work experience.

To try and get into IT with no work experience and just an A+ certification you'll need to find something like tier 1 help desk and then work your way up.

You can find plenty of resume examples online if you're looking to see one.

Here is one example:
Entry-Level IT Resume Sample | Monster

TSF does not support assistance through email or private messages, please keep all questions in the open forum.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wan Address Changing Periodically
For about two weeks my IP kept changing but that stopped on July 1st. My latency was also unusually high but that also went down a few days ago back to my normal ping. However this morning I once again setup my teamspeak server (a VoIP client) on my dynamic IP and a few hours later my IP changed...
AmbiguousNinja Networking Support 1 07-06-2013 09:58 AM
Resume download using Teamviewer 7
How does one resume download using Teamviewer 7 . Teamviewer 6 use to have resume feature, but not Teamviewer 7 ? I am using portable version and setup version. All don't have this feature ?
zhong Windows XP Support 2 10-28-2012 09:46 AM
Problem with changing Bios battery
Hi! I have problem with changing Bios battery, i replaced old Bios battery with new one, old battery had maybe 0,06V (tested with multimeeter) and new one was ok, 3V inside. So problem is next, after changing battery i changed time in Bios and saved changes that i made, so the computer made...
Tannu Windows XP Support 10 10-30-2011 03:14 PM
CANT PASTE FILES INTO USB STICK
When i insert my usb stick it mounts onto the desktop but im unable to open it `usb`. Ive tried re formatting it, re mounting it but still unable to access it. Only way i can access it is by going into file sytem- media-stick. Once open i only root has prermission to copy and paste files onto the...
tizza2k Linux Support 29 06-03-2011 09:14 AM
GigaByte BIOS keeps changing priority of a booted hdd
BIOS Keeps Changing Boot Order Priority - Tech Support Guy Forums https://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f15/boot-device-priority-keeps-changing-276277.html Dear Experts I have a Gigabyte motherboard GA-945GCM-21S ,,,,I have four hdds connected to this motherboard two Seagate IDEs...
zillah Motherboards, Bios & CPU 5 03-29-2011 10:22 PM