Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

Certifications shouldn't be 5k?

This is a discussion on Certifications shouldn't be 5k? within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey guys so i was looking at my community college and they offer the +A certification however the certification says

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 05:54 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hey guys so i was looking at my community college and they offer the +A certification however the certification says that the course takes about 70 hours. After doing more research i found out that it is 71.50 per hour so 71.50*70 would be around 5k. Since it is a certification it should be much less correct? Also i was looking around and found some exam vouchers that cost around 100-120 for the +A , was wondering if anyone could explain to me how that works. If i purchase a voucher that means i don't have to go to the courses?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2013, 09:16 PM   #2
Moderator, IT Pro Team
Certification and Career Expert

My System

You don't need a course. All you need is a study guide (I recommend Mike Meyers All-in-One 8th edition) and the discipline to self study. If you want to see if you're ready for the real thing, you can purchase practice exams from a trusted practice exam provider (disclaimer: I write for one, so my opinion is incredibly biased ), though that's not an absolute necessity. That said, they can help you get the feel of how the live exam is going to be without having to retake the exam.

I don't use vouchers - my employer pays for my testing - so I can't give you much insight on that. If you can find a trusted source for VUE vouchers, you can do that. Or you can simply schedule your exam through VUE's website at www.vue.com.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:32 PM   #3
Registered Member

Lol thanks a lot Boson! I really appreciate it. Just ordered the book now through amazon. It is also good to know that i don't have to take the course, will save myself a lot of money! I actually know most of the stuff for +A but the guide would def be helpful. Also doing more research i suppose i should also try and study for the Network+ & Security+ ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2013, 09:57 PM   #4
Moderator, IT Pro Team
Certification and Career Expert

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicalgritz View Post
Lol thanks a lot Boson! I really appreciate it. Just ordered the book now through amazon. It is also good to know that i don't have to take the course, will save myself a lot of money! I actually know most of the stuff for +A but the guide would def be helpful. Also doing more research i suppose i should also try and study for the Network+ & Security+ ?
After you finish the A+, Network+ would be worth doing. I'd recommend holding off on Security+ until you've got about a year's experience doing things related to IT security.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:06 AM   #5
Troubled

Great advice. Also if your workplace has access to Skillsoft or similar you can get big discount vouchers for nearly all certs as well as study guides.
Closed Thread