Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

Certifications

This is a discussion on Certifications within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm looking to get into the IT field as a systems administrator and I'm trying to decide on where a

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 08:51 PM   #1
Registered Member

I'm looking to get into the IT field as a systems administrator and I'm trying to decide on where a good place to start in terms of Microsoft certifications would be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2018, 03:09 AM   #2
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnymata View Post
I'm looking to get into the IT field as a systems administrator and I'm trying to decide on where a good place to start in terms of Microsoft certifications would be.
Your better off going with a degree, either an Associates Degree (2 yr) or Bachelors Degree (4yr).
Old 02-21-2018, 06:53 AM   #3
Registered Member

Most people I've talked to say degrees aren't worth much anymore. Evidently certifications are the way to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2018, 08:36 AM   #4
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

Quote:
Most people I've talked to say degrees aren't worth much anymore. Evidently certifications are the way to go.
I disagree...as the degree is a much broader since of the IT industry, then you specialize. Where as certs are specific areas only. Then the route in which you get certified:1 cost more as each business's and companies require them...added up over time. Then there's the different certification industry...meaning who gives the cert class. Examples: CompTIA, Cysco, MS (MicroSoft) and the list goes on. So there's triple the certifications you have to have for 1 said job, which directly goes back cost. Then the long term viability of a degree vs certs that have to re-certify every year or 3 - 5 years.

Then there's the defacto reason: Pay/Salary. You get paid less with certs vs a degree.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:55 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

OS: WIN7 ULTIMATE - 64 bit (SP1), FIREFOX, ASUS G75 'ROG' laptop(s)

Quote:
The best generic baseline certs are the CompTIA A+ exams. Once you have that accomplished, then you can branch out and get MS and Cisco or similar specific certs to round out your stable of skills.

I've gone through life with many jobs that "required" a degree which I did not have by having the appropriate certifications and demonstrating to requisite skills and experience.

I taught in public schools and in industry by exhibiting those skills and knowledge. Nearly all my employment was as a result of "head hunters" seeking me out through referrals by colleagues and trade associations which I was involved in.

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

"Remember - HARDWARE is the part of the computer that can be KICKED!" - WIZMO
Closed Thread