Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

certification: should I wait?

This is a discussion on certification: should I wait? within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. This may be a dumb question, but my understanding is that the exams for CompTIA A+ and Network+ exams will

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 07:47 AM   #1
Registered Member

This may be a dumb question, but my understanding is that the exams for CompTIA A+ and Network+ exams will change around August of this year. I was thinking of purchasing training materials for these exams. Should I wait until after the exams change?

I haven't taken an exam of any kind in about 25 years. Also I'm an IBM midrange programmer by trade (read: tech dinosaur) and have only minimal PC knowlege. I'm concerned I may not get far enough along with the training to be prepared for the exams before they change, and would need to start over with exam prep (and purchase new training materials).

Your opinions appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2013, 03:46 AM   #2
Enthusiast

My System

the compTIA exams if you want to keep certified in them need renewing every three years so you can take the exams when you want. Usually there isn't that much difference between the new revisions.

It depends on how fast you learn. As far as I know there is always a bit of overlap between the old exams fully retiring and the newer ones becoming common place.

You do not need much training material for these exams. A couple of books like compTIA A+ all in one exam guide by Mike Meyers (think its the 8th edition now). His network+ book. these free videos from pro messer Professor Messer, CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Linux, Microsoft Certification Training and a good practice exam engine which I would recommend Cisco Network Simulator | IT Practice Exams | IT Training | Boson.com

Some people do not need much studying at all and some needs loads. Have a look at a few of the videos and see if you take the stuff in easily and if you do you might be able to knock them out before the exams change.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:12 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thank you GBL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2013, 11:51 AM   #4
Moderator, IT Pro Team
Certification and Career Expert

My System

Where did you see that these exams will be changing in August? The most recent A+ exams (800 series) just went live about 8 months ago.

Whenever exams switch over, there's always a considerable overlap period where both the current version and previous version are available. For example, the previous version of the A+ exams (700 series) is still available until August 2013. So I wouldn't recommend delaying; start studying now.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:04 PM   #5
Registered Member

Maybe that's what I'm confused about Michael. You say the current version is still until August - does that not mean it changes in August?
Old 05-22-2013, 12:04 PM   #6
Registered Member

Oh my fault, you said the previous version. Sorry, I'm with you now. Thanks for your input.
Closed Thread