Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

Career in computer security

This is a discussion on Career in computer security within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello everyone! I am hoping that you may be able to give me an answer to something that has been

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 10:47 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello everyone!

I am hoping that you may be able to give me an answer to something that has been bothering me for a while now so here goes.

Is it possible to have a successful career in computer security with a criminal record? specifically a burglary and taking without owners consent. ill not go into the details as I couldnt possibly try to explain the circumstances of it over the internet but I am certainly no criminal.

I have a keen interest in the field and would love to have a career in it.

any help would be much appreciated

Many Thanks
winiswin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2013, 01:51 PM   #2
Enthusiast

My System

Not likely nor is it likely to get a job in security without working as a network admin before which you would probably have been a systems tech first which you would have first probably worked in helpdesk.

so helpdesk > tech > network admin or systems admin > security.

Or you could hack into the pentagon get arrested and after you have been in jail for a year they might give you a job at stopping other hackers.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:58 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

What computer security or general computer knowledge do you have? Do you understand any modern programming languages like C and C++? Assembly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2013, 04:19 PM   #4
Registered Member

Haha no I dont think I will be hacking into the pentagon any time soon that's for sure! thanks for the career path, this is just me initially looking at what I want to do to see what others think.

My knowledge isnt great by any means but I have built my own computer recently which has been problem free so far which I am proud of! I have begun to learn HTML and CSS, im just self teaching myself and chose those languages because I was told they are what beginners should start with and I must say I have found it a lot of fun so far! I am also thinking that university would be the best route to get up to speed as quickly as possible?

Many Thanks
Old 12-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #5
Enthusiast

My System

Not many people walk into security job straight away, just like not many people walk into a networking job.

15 years ago people got degrees and could. But those days are long gone, IT these days is about your experience level in the real world and most of the time that means starting at the very bottom and working your way up. Unless you know people or your very good or you are very very lucky that's the way it works.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:02 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by winiswin View Post
Haha no I dont think I will be hacking into the pentagon any time soon that's for sure! thanks for the career path, this is just me initially looking at what I want to do to see what others think.

My knowledge isnt great by any means but I have built my own computer recently which has been problem free so far which I am proud of! I have begun to learn HTML and CSS, im just self teaching myself and chose those languages because I was told they are what beginners should start with and I must say I have found it a lot of fun so far! I am also thinking that university would be the best route to get up to speed as quickly as possible?

Many Thanks
Those are for web development, C/C++ and Assembly are completely different syntax. You can learn C++ as a beginner, I did and it's not difficult once you've got used to it.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:11 AM   #7
Registered Member

greenbrucelee thanks for the reply. I know that I would not be starting at the top or anywhere near it to be honest but I was wondering how to get onto the bottom of the ladder when I currently hold no related qualifications and my current predicament with the law. I was thinking that a good degree would help me pack a bit more punch. I am also wanting to get into this field as from my experience so far, it has been great fun. I am not really bothered about making a massive wage and so is not really a large factor.

x BlueRobot I know what they are used for but until very recently I had never seen a programming language before and the plan was to get a very basic understanding of this then move onto something more advanced.

Also I am in the UK. If my current record would hinder me massively in this field, would programming be an easier area to break into?
Old 12-06-2013, 10:17 AM   #8
Enthusiast

My System

You don't need qualifications or certifications to work in IT. There are jobs called entry level and by definition it means you don't know much and don't have any experience.

You should look for entry level help desk jobs or even go lower and get a job at bestbuy or pc world fixing computers. You should also look at getting some entry level certifications such as compTIA A+, compTIA Network+ and a windows client cert such as 70-680 or 70-270.

You do not need to go for classes for these, you can buy the books study and practice on your own then take the exams.

The best book for the A+ is compTIA A+ all in one exam guide by Mike Meyers (current edition is the 8th edition). For network+ it is compTIA Network+ by Mike Meyers and Network+ by Todd Lammle.

You book the exams through pearsonvue.com or prometric.com and find your nearest test centre and take the exams.

You can buy discount vouchers so you don't pay full price from gracetechsolutions.com
Old 12-07-2013, 03:04 PM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

To be a security analyst, you'll need to know some form of programming, since most professionals will reverse engineer malware to understand how it works.
Closed Thread

« IT CAREER | 70-640 »