Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

Career as a Network Administrator

This is a discussion on Career as a Network Administrator within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi everyone .. I am working as a Technical support (L2) engineer in a M.N.C for last seven months ..

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #1
Registered Member

EEK!

Hi everyone .. I am working as a Technical support (L2) engineer in a M.N.C for last seven months .. I want to build my career as a Network Administrator .. Please Tell me how should I set my goals from now .. Tell me the Certifications which are needed.. Apart from certifications what should I do which not only increase my knowledge but also increase my market value ... How should I change my designation from support engineer to a network administrator .. will I get the chance ?? Please Guide me .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2013, 03:23 PM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Look at the ads for the types of jobs that interest you. They typically list the job description and the requirements needed.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:29 PM   #3
Enthusiast

My System

you get into network admin by doing network admin duties or by being promoted. You could ask your boss or manager if its possible to get this experience whilst still doing what your doing now and if they say they can't pay you extra then do it for free.

Certifications are designed to back-up your experience not show what you want to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2013, 09:57 PM   #4
Registered Member

But there is no scope to do networking related tasks here .. Then what is the remedy ?
Old 07-18-2013, 12:27 AM   #5
2xg
TSF Team, Emeritus

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Thread moved to the proper section which is Certification and Career Forum.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:43 AM   #6
Enthusiast

My System

then look for a job where you can get the experience. Having a bunch of certs with no experience does not make you look good to an employer because having high level certs without the experience will make most employers think that you have cheated to pass. Books dont tell you everything.

From your experience you may be able to apply for trainee network admin jobs or look for a job like what you do know but one that has scop to progress.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:35 AM   #7
Moderator, IT Pro Team
Certification and Career Expert

My System

If there's no opportunity for you to do light network administration at your current job, there's really only one solution, isn't there? Find a job where you can get some light network admin experience. If that means you take a job with the same title and pay and basic responsibilities, so be it... provided you will get the opportunity to get some light network administration experience at some point.

You can't just take a test and automagically become a network administrator. You learn by doing. When I was a Systems Administrator (administering both desktops and servers), I got invaluable network administration experience while helping out a Network Administrator. Eventually, I gained enough experience to get my own network administration position.

You probably understand how this works if you look back at your own career. You didn't start out as a Level 2 tech, did you? Probably not... you likely started out on the bottom, and as you gained experience, you moved up. Right? Same holds true with server administration and network administration and security administration.
Closed Thread