Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

Career Advise

This is a discussion on Career Advise within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello everyone, I have a technical BS degree and recent MBA degree in IT. I started my career at Helpdesk

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 12:45 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello everyone,

I have a technical BS degree and recent MBA degree in IT. I started my career at Helpdesk support almost 6 months back with a big company. I have A+, Net+ and planning on getting MCSA and CCNA certs.

My question is -

Is this the right start for me with an MBA degree ? I was told that I need to have experience before I can get a job as an analyst or manager. I did my BS and straight did my MBA.

What else should I focus on getting ?

Please advise as I don't want to get stuck in Support positions.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2013, 02:59 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Chances are you're going to have to go through entry level IT for a while before you have the opportunity to do something else. The fact is there are tons and tons of people with a lot of experience and education. It'll be a challenge finding a job without that experience. I would suggest staying where you are while you look for something else and gain the experience you need.

If you can move to a supervisory position that will give you the experience you need for managing people. Also look into some management training as a lot of employers look for certifications in things like ITIL.

TSF does not support assistance through email or private messages, please keep all questions in the open forum.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:40 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMPC View Post
Chances are you're going to have to go through entry level IT for a while before you have the opportunity to do something else. The fact is there are tons and tons of people with a lot of experience and education. It'll be a challenge finding a job without that experience. I would suggest staying where you are while you look for something else and gain the experience you need.

If you can move to a supervisory position that will give you the experience you need for managing people. Also look into some management training as a lot of employers look for certifications in things like ITIL.
Thanks for the reply.

So according to you I got the right career start ?
I believe after 2 years of experience I may be able to get better opportunities.

Please advise .

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2013, 11:59 AM   #4
Enthusiast

My System

Certification wise unless you are an IT admin hold off on the MCSA. The same applies to the CCNA if you do not manage and support cisco kit then hold off.

Certifications are designed to show what you have experience in, not what you want to do.

The A+ and N+ are entry level certs so you dont need experience for them but high level certs like MCSA,MCSE and CCNA are to show experience.

Think about studying a windows client exam such as the 70-270 (xp) and 70-680 (win7)
Closed Thread