Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

Can I get a little guidance? (Mostly regarding certifications)

This is a discussion on Can I get a little guidance? (Mostly regarding certifications) within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello nice people, I pretty recently got a job on a deployment team updating and upgrading workstations. I've been trying

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 05:48 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello nice people,

I pretty recently got a job on a deployment team updating and upgrading workstations.

I've been trying to break into IT for a while and I finally found a way to get some experience, but the problem (if you'd even call it that) is it's a temp position with no possibility of permanent employment after the project is finished up, so I'm trying to knock out some certifications while I have an income stream. I figure that way it'll be easier to find the next job.

Can I get an opinion on which order to take my basic certs? A+, then Network+, then Security+ seems to make the most sense to me but maybe you guys would have a different idea. Then after that, maybe a Microsoft client certification?

I'm interested in systems administration as a long-term plan, or maybe even network stuff too. I haven't really figured it out yet. Frankly I have no idea where to go from here, after my job posting runs its course.

I should probably add that I have a BA, if that means anything.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2013, 08:15 PM   #2
Moderator, IT Pro Team
Certification and Career Expert

My System

A+, then Network+, then Windows client certifications... nothing beyond that until you get more IT experience.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:48 PM   #3
Registered Member

That's about what I figured. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2013, 08:49 PM   #4
Moderator, IT Pro Team

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburke001 View Post
That's about what I figured. Thanks.
Glad to help! We're here if you have any other questions. :)
Old 08-08-2013, 08:51 PM   #5
Registered Member

Haha, good to know. It's a little overwhelming trying to break in for sure. I figure once I really get my feet wet it'll be easier to figure out where to go from there.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:11 AM   #6
Moderator, IT Pro Team

My System

Quote:
Haha, good to know. It's a little overwhelming trying to break in for sure. I figure once I really get my feet wet it'll be easier to figure out where to go from there.
Absolutely. My advice for where to go beyond the entry-level certifications is this: Certify on what you have experience doing. With the exception of entry-level certs, certification isn't designed to show an employer what you want to be doing... it is designed to show an employer what you already have experience doing. So, if you start doing light server administration, you might consider going after some server certifications. If you start helping out with configuring and administering Cisco routers, go for the CCENT and CCNA. Your experience will dictate what certifications you should pursue. :)
Old 08-11-2013, 06:30 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Good for you for getting your foot in the door! How did you find the temp job? I've applied for several positions, got one interview, but didn't get the position.
Closed Thread