Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

Business Venture Advice

This is a discussion on Business Venture Advice within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Evening IT Admins. I need your help. I am a Network Engineer for a large MSP in Michigan. That being

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 05:43 PM   #1
Registered Member

Evening IT Admins. I need your help.

I am a Network Engineer for a large MSP in Michigan. That being so I am also an entrepreneur at heart and I have an business idea I wanted to run by my fellow Engineer’s / Administrators in hopes of getting some market feedback.

As a Systems Administrator in the past, many times I needed help with various projects or issues that arose. The MSP’s always wanted to charge me $100+/hr and also wanted to sell me other services and also manage my entire network (aka ‘take my job’). They also were not keen on “letting me watch” or “teaching me”.

Have you ever been in this situation? Where you just want some affordable help from someone who isn't out to sell all their latest and greatest services?

What is your personal opinion about my idea to provide the following to Admin's such as yourselves?

SENIOR LEVEL REMOTE SERVICE DESK for IT Administrators

1. A service desk where you can submit a ticket and get remote On-Demand Consulting or Hands on Help with -- Network engineering, Windows Engineering, Linux Engineering & Cloud (Virtualization) Engineering.
2. A flat rate fee of $65 / hr. No managed services or monthly fees EVER.
3. Only thing sold is pre-paid time (blocks of 5hrs). No products pushed. We would work with what you have or simply help you acquire what is best for your needs (your own accounts).
4. Freedom to watch and learn or even be trained if you like. 100% Full Disclosure & Documentation.

Please let me know you thoughts or any questions you have. Also send me your objections or ideas to overcome them.

I appreciate all your feedback!

Curtis

DISCLAIMER: There is no current company nor any sales agent ready to give you a call. This is ONLY market research for a company that may or may not launch within the next year or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2015, 09:54 PM   #2
Moderator, IT Pro Team
Certification and Career Expert

My System

That's awfully cheap. I charge $100/hr freelance. My customers love me and think the service is worth every dollar.

EDIT: Hey, maybe I could hire you at $65/hr and send you out on jobs.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:08 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BosonMichael View Post
EDIT: Hey, maybe I could hire you at $65/hr and send you out on jobs.
Actually you would be using our pool of Engineer contractors to perform "remote" (no one would be going anywhere for you at that rate) work for you at $65/hr. and yes you could make money this way.

The price is quite cheap. Maybe $75 would still attract enough clients. I have ran the numbers and $65 is my bottom number.

What do you think about whether there would be demand for this service?

I appreciate any advice you can give.

Thank you Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2015, 06:00 PM   #4
Moderator, IT Pro Team
Certification and Career Expert

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis12 View Post
Actually you would be using our pool of Engineer contractors to perform "remote" (no one would be going anywhere for you at that rate) work for you at $65/hr. and yes you could make money this way.

The price is quite cheap. Maybe $75 would still attract enough clients. I have ran the numbers and $65 is my bottom number.

What do you think about whether there would be demand for this service?

I appreciate any advice you can give.

Thank you Michael
There may be demand, though to be honest, I wouldn't use it. If I like someone enough to contract them, I'd like them enough to hire them outright. Still, you may indeed be able to make this a profitable venture.
Closed Thread