Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

Anyone with a college degree in computers, can you answer this?

This is a discussion on Anyone with a college degree in computers, can you answer this? within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My friend is taking a computer science course right now and he said he had to take a WPM test.

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 11:12 AM   #1
Registered Member

My friend is taking a computer science course right now and he said he had to take a WPM test. I asked him if he had to type with that stupid proper typing posture, like pinky goes on A and ; and index fingers go on F and J, etc.
And he said he had to type like that.
Is this true?
Because when I try to type like that I can score a maximum of 20 words per minute. But when I type free hand, still using punctuation and grammar, I have scored 98 WPM.
And now it's just bugging me because I plan on going to school for computer science too. But I don't want to be forced to type like that when I've been typing free hand my whole life and I do way better with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2013, 11:56 AM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Depends on the school/ instructor. Interestingly, there's a more efficient keyboard than QWERTY. The reason it isn't popular is that the keys or ball on a typewriter couldn't keep up with it. Computer can.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
Moderator, IT Pro Team
Certification and Career Expert

My System

When I was young, I typed using five fingers on my right hand and two fingers on my left hand, and I was probably as fast as you. I had to be - not only did I program, I did real-time chat on BBSs and on Compu$erve. When I was a senior in high school, I had to fill up one semester with something... and I heard that Typing was an easy A.

Problem is... I was just like you. I didn't want to learn the "right way", nor did I feel the need to do so. And there was absolutely no way that I was going to be any faster. Plus, I reasoned that it would be difficult for me to type the "right way" since I had trained my hands to do it "my way" for so long.

I was wrong. Boy, was I wrong.

I didn't have ANY problems picking up the "right way" to type. Even better, my speed increased significantly, and I make far fewer errors than I did when I typed "my way". After being in IT for 15 years (and messing with computers for more than 30), I can honestly say that learning how to type the "right way" was one of the best career-influencing decisions I've made.

Do yourself a favor: learn how to type correctly. Repetitive strain injury is no joke... and you're much more likely to cause it with incorrect typing technique. When typing is crucial to your career, you don't want RSI to mess that up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2013, 03:08 PM   #4
Enthusiast

My System

I learned using mavis beacons typing tutor back when windows 3.1 and dos 6.2 was around. I still have to look at the keys sometimes and I still make the odd mistake, but I use two hands with all of my fingers.

I did this though as I wanted to learn it, I am not sure why you would need to know how to be a typist though for a computer course.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:06 AM   #5
Registered Member

I never had to take a wpm typing test when I was going for my degree. However, you shouldn't worry about this one test counting for much in the course. No one cares how fast you type in this field. Not that I've seen in my experience.
Closed Thread