Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

Advice IT

This is a discussion on Advice IT within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I"m trying to decide which direction of the IT field I want to venture into after 13 years of

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 09:28 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello, I"m trying to decide which direction of the IT field I want to venture into after 13 years of Desktop Support/IT desktop consultant. I have a herniated disc which will require surgery and puts me in a sticky place because I will no longer be able to perform all the duties of my position (crawling under desk, lifting over 50 lb., etc) so I'm trying to do something a little less strenuous or less strain on my back. Any thoughts? not a fan of help desk support positions.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2013, 04:15 PM   #2
Registered Member

I would suggest after that long in desktop support that the logical next step is server support. Given that everything is virtualised these days you have no worries about heavy lifting too!!
Old 11-27-2013, 02:12 PM   #3
Registered Member

It depends on what you want to do and partly academic background though experience and being able to demonstrate skills can outway that.

Programming is another option or testing where you won't have to do any lifting. Project management or system analysis and design could be options too.

Enthusiasm can make a big difference too as I found out when I attended an interview in London with very little experience, showed enthusiasm and got the job.

Don't rush into a decision is my advice. I made that mistake and ended up in desktop support for most of 12 years despite project management, design/development and other experience.

Take any training opportunities that you can, pay for them if you have to and see if it interests you e.g. software development in C/C++, website design etc.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
In Need of Advice
Hello good people of TechSupport, I'm in search of some advice from techies and network professionals. First of all, let me get the sucking up out of the way by saying, this site is awesome! Ok now that that is out of the way, I'll go ahead and get right to it. I'm on the verge of securing...
gatorfan85 Certification & Career 5 11-14-2012 01:29 PM
Need some true and honest advice please.
Hello can someone please give me some advice, A friend gave me a Dell dimension 4550 with 533fsb so first I ripped the pentium 4 2.8GHz picked up a 3.06GHz norwood for $20 bucks off e-bay put in a 80gb hard drive for the master and 400gb for my slave, those I had laying around along with a couple...
bcamp1967 Sound Cards 2 11-03-2011 04:13 PM
Looking to get better quality on my scans
I have HP C4180 All-in-one (print, scan, copy) Right now I'm trying to scan a yearbook that I never got myself, back when I was in middle school. I want to scan the whole thing and return it to the owner, who has not had it in months. Only thing is, I don't want the quality to be bad as I probably...
PC person Printer Support 4 06-15-2011 06:02 PM
[SOLVED] advice regarding HTPC build
OK, getting new apartment with Comcast CableCard availability so I figured this would be a good opportunity to build a new HTPC using some existing parts and some new parts. So... Tuner - Ceton InfiniTV 4 CPU - intel i3-2100 3.1GHz LGA 1155 - advice? MOBO - either the ASUS P8H67-M EVO...
gschnider Building 8 06-03-2011 04:41 AM
Advice on New Laptop
Hey y'all, I'm new to this forum, but I've happened upon it many times in Google searches, found it very helpful, and decided to finally sign up. I was hoping someone could give me some advice in my hunt for a new laptop. Feel free to offer technical advice - if I'm unfamiliar with ...
failkitty Laptop Support 10 05-30-2011 09:01 PM