Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

Advice for IT Support prof wishing to develop

This is a discussion on Advice for IT Support prof wishing to develop within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all, I'm an IT support professional with over 12 years experience working for a couple of companies. I work

Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 03:46 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi all,

I'm an IT support professional with over 12 years experience working for a couple of companies. I work in Applications support, looking after business applications for a public sector body.

I would like to develop my skills and would like advice on which areas to pursue. The problem with my role is that although I'm an expert in the applications my employer uses, my 'general' IT skills aren't great.

I'd like to learn some scripting - VBScript in particular (yes I know that's old, but the fact is that many companies use it, and remember I'm a support person, not development, and there is a whole load of legacy stuff out there). I've heard of virtual machines which I'd like to install on my computer - but how do I get operating system images onto them, so I can learn windows programming (all the VB script tutorials I've found just show the basic programming constructs).

I also need to learn more about networking etc - does anyone recommend a 'training syllabus' for someone like me? I was contemplating doing a part time Computer Science course, but it would be very difficult to get time off work.

Many thanks in advance,

James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2013, 08:06 AM   #2
Moderator, IT Pro Team
Certification and Career Expert

My System

For networking, I'd recommend Network+. The All-in-One by Mike Meyers will help. You don't need a classroom training course.

No idea about how best to learn scripting and programming. However, admins don't do much scripting... and programming is done by coders, not admins. You can certainly learn it, but there's not a great deal of demand for admins who can program.

You don't need to learn scripting to work with virtual machines. Best way to learn that is by actually doing it. Put a VM on your computer at home.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:08 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for your reply, BosonMichael. Scripting in IT support is quite common in my experience - not development as such but scripts used for general tasks, like monitoring and automating basic operations (such as backups).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2013, 11:58 AM   #4
Moderator, IT Pro Team
Certification and Career Expert

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupportyPerson View Post
Thanks for your reply, BosonMichael. Scripting in IT support is quite common in my experience - not development as such but scripts used for general tasks, like monitoring and automating basic operations (such as backups).
True, but each is pretty specific to the application... so it's not something you would take a class for. Plus, it's not something you'd do every day, so companies aren't going to hire someone to specifically script.
Closed Thread