Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

A vital decision, frustrated

This is a discussion on A vital decision, frustrated within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all; I am new to the forum and I really need some expert advice at this decisive time. First,

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 01:08 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi all;
I am new to the forum and I really need some expert advice at this decisive time.
First, please excuse my English.
The first line of my story is that I have not yet seen my career path although I am 35.
I have obtained my certificate in my home country (Bachelor of Electrical Engineering, section of Electronics & Communications). Since then I have worked only six years in real engineering work. Four of them were as Radio Engineer (mobile Telecom) the job that I did not like at all. Then I had the opportunity to to move to my beloved sector, IT and started over as "Transport IP Planning Engineer" in the same mobile telecom operator.
Even though I have worked only for two years in the latter job and I am not yet certified, not even having CCNA, but I have gained good experience in designing large-scale IP networks (routing, switching, MPLS, VPN...) and I can compare my knowledge to CCNP level.
Few months ago I have moved to Germany and here is the question.
I have at least a year ahead before I can start trying to enter the market again due to language and admin issues here. And now I am thinking how to exploit this year to get prepared in such a competitive market.
The normal track I have thought of is obtaining CCNA & CCNP certificates which should help me along with the knowledge I have gained in work for the race.
However; I have a crazy idea that is hitting my head.... since I am young I was fond of programming and I know I am good in it. I love problem solving and writing code, but unfortunately I did not have the chance to work in the field. I have read a book "Mastering C#" and done some exercises couple of years ago then stopped. Now, something in my head is telling me to go back to programming and learn hard in the coming period. But naturally, my mind says, it is crazy...you can't enter such a domain without previous experience and in this age.... no way, he said
So what you say experts? I really need an advise and sorry for the long story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2015, 07:49 AM   #2
Enthusiast

My System

to get into programming code and create a portfolio to show to employers but you are correct as likely you would start at the bottom because you have no experience.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:46 PM   #3
Moderator, IT Pro Team
Certification and Career Expert

My System

The hardest part of switching fields (and programming would indeed be a different field) is that you have to start over from the bottom... which usually includes a decrease in salary. But if you can afford the loss of income, you should work in whatever field will make you happiest.

If you do decide to continue in the networking field, I would recommend that you certify on what you have experience doing. This will give you an advantage over others with similar experience levels.

Hope this helps. :)
Closed Thread