Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

39, dont know what direction to take...

This is a discussion on 39, dont know what direction to take... within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. hi guys, i just turned 39 and have worked my own computer shop for the past seven years. I only

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 04:56 PM   #1
Registered Member

hi guys,

i just turned 39 and have worked my own computer shop for the past seven years. I only have an A+ and N+ but have many years experience with windows systems and a little server. I have a good reputation and work is busy, but i realize the end of the road is coming for this game. I dont want to expand this business, i want to become higher qualified and get a job.

I recently started doing a linux+ and then want to do some red hat certs, but i have been questioning this lately. I can imagine that this is a very difficult area to get experience in (eg:having to work for free to get experience under the belt, compared to a software developer who can actually present his work and say "This is what I can do") Also i would imagine Unix/linux environments are in big cities and dont offer too much in the self employment arena.

I been thinking more lately about getting into software development, i did basic many many years ago and have a head start on a lot of people. But am starting to think that ship has sailed and feel i may be too old by the time i get any skills and an entry level job.

what is left for somebody in my age bracket??? any advice or push in a direction greatly appreciated...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2014, 09:57 AM   #2
Enthusiast

My System

first your ever too old.

Second you have lots of experience which is what counts the most.

Suggestion why not get some testomonials from your clients/customers to use on your cv/resume?
Old 07-07-2014, 01:36 AM   #3
Moderator, IT Pro Team
Certification and Career Expert

My System

With Linux certifications, you're somewhat putting the cart before the horse. Linux certs are designed for people who have experience administering Linux... not for those who want to get a job administering Linux with no experience.

If you want to get out of your business, I'd recommend that you get a job as a systems admin for a company where you can get some server admin experience. Or, if you don't want to be an admin any longer, start learning how to program. You're never too old until you're about 6 feet underground.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2014, 01:51 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to jimscreechy

I'm more surprised by your '"end of the road is coming for this game" remark. Care to elaborate?
Old 07-07-2014, 02:14 AM   #5
Registered Member

greenbrucelee - yes thought about that, unfortunately it only really allows me to do computer support and a few IT skills...nothing higher end.

BosonMichael - I thought Linux+ was designed as an entry level certification

jimscreechy - The fact that more and more services are moving into the cloud every year coupled with the falling price of computer hardware, experts believe the computer repair shop/technician will become extinct...similar to what happened to the TV repair guy...
Old 07-07-2014, 08:28 PM   #6
Moderator, IT Pro Team

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonin View Post
BosonMichael - I thought Linux+ was designed as an entry level certification
From the CompTIA Linux+ page:

Recommended experience: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+ and at least 12 months of Linux administration experience

And considering Linux isn't used much on the desktop, that means you're doing Linux server administration... which means you've got quite a bit more than 12 months of IT experience. That's nowhere near entry level. :)

Quote:
jimscreechy - The fact that more and more services are moving into the cloud every year coupled with the falling price of computer hardware, experts believe the computer repair shop/technician will become extinct...similar to what happened to the TV repair guy...
Your TV doesn't hold your precious data: documents, pictures, videos. The job of an IT professional is going to change (and has changed) over time, but there's still going to continue to be a need for IT professionals.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:26 AM   #7
Registered Member

ok BosonMichael,

so how do i begin becoming a linux admin without any paper work???

i could have sworn the A+ said the same thing about its exam...yet after studying and playing i aced it...

let me know...
Old 07-08-2014, 10:32 AM   #8
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

You might find some info here on the certs https://www.lpi.org/

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:33 PM   #9
Moderator, IT Pro Team

My System

Quote:
ok BosonMichael,

so how do i begin becoming a linux admin without any paper work???
Like I said in my original reply, "If you want to get out of your business, I'd recommend that you get a job as a systems admin for a company where you can get some server admin experience."

Quote:
i could have sworn the A+ said the same thing about its exam...yet after studying and playing i aced it...

let me know...
Don't misunderstand the point I'm trying to get across. I'm not saying that you shouldn't take the exam because you can't pass the exam without experience. You very likely CAN pass the Linux+ exam without experience. The reason why I recommend that you have Linux experience before taking the Linux+ exam is that the certification won't magically get you a Linux admin job without experience.

The A+ and Network+ are both considered to be entry-level certifications because they test on skills that entry-level techs should be reasonably expected to know and to use in their first IT job. Linux, like I mentioned earlier, is typically used on servers, which entry-level techs aren't likely to be allowed to administer.

Thing is... you're not an entry-level tech. Yet you lack server admin experience. This is why I recommend you get a job where you can get more server admin experience... so you can get certifications related to server administration... thereby allowing you to move higher on the IT career ladder.
Closed Thread