Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

User Tag List

Windows Explorer won't launch - Windows XP Media Center Edition

This is a discussion on Windows Explorer won't launch - Windows XP Media Center Edition within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. On my desktop PC, when I double click on My Computer, Recycle Bin or even try to open the Control

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 06:14 PM   #1
Registered Member

On my desktop PC, when I double click on My Computer, Recycle Bin or even try to open the Control Panel, I get an hourglass briefly with the mouse pointer but nothing happens. I recently switched from cable modem to a Verizon MiFi. Not sure if that has something to do with it or not. I also recently got a laptop and don't use this desktop PC much so I'm not sure when this problem started.

Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2012, 06:22 PM   #2
Registered Member

Can you see any kind of icons when you open the start menu? This sounds like either an annoying system corruption error or a virus, and just in case I would recommend downloading the latest version of MalwareBytes from download.com and running that from Safe Mode with Networking. If that comes back clean, you may want to try a system restore.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:16 PM   #3
Registered Member

Yes I can see icons on the start menu. I have AVG virus protection loaded on the machine (and it's up to date) so I don't see how it could be a virus or malware.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #4
Registered Member

Unfortunately not all antivirus is created equal, I work in IT and many, many computers come in with perfectly functioning antivirus that are still hugely infected. It is part luck, but also largely dependent on the quality of the product as you might have guessed. You mentioned that you haven't used the machine in a while, and I suspect that the antivirus became out of date. Did you update it immediately on turning it on at first? I would still highly recommend installing malwarebytes, if only to verify it isnt a virus and help narrow down other causes. In my humble experience, AVG is not a terribly good product and doesn't seem to work well at all. It is even possible that AVG itself is causing your problems, I have heard of it doing some very interesting things.
Closed Thread