Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

User Tag List

Windows 7 BSOD - "Kernel Power"

This is a discussion on Windows 7 BSOD - "Kernel Power" within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My worst fear has come true... I have recently purchased an , Assembled Desktop with Heavy Gaming configuration..The specs are

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 01:20 PM   #1
Registered Member

My worst fear has come true...

I have recently purchased an , Assembled Desktop with Heavy Gaming configuration..The specs are as follows:

Intel Pentium Processor i7
Gugabyte H97-D3H Motherboard
Nvidia Gforce GTX 960 2GB Graphics Card
16 GB RAM

Just after a few days of purchase,i started having BSOD's after i switched on my system from Sleep Mode.
I had "Windows 8" installed on my system.So,it used to gave me this Message (See Pic - 1):

However , after much unsuccessfull attempts to resolve the BSOD,i was only able to know the name of the CRASH which is "Kernel-Power".After taking to the repair shop,the reapairing guy couldn't fix this issue.So,he suggested to install " Windows 7 " . I agreed,now after like a week or so.That Kernel-Power issues came back.This time however,the system goes in to a 3 second BSOD and afterwords,restarts & then i get the message (See Pic - 2)

Now,the online forums suggest various causes for this CRASH.Some people say, it's a hardware error.Some people say , it's a Virus.One person suggested to , change the power options and keep the "What will the power button do on pressing" to "Do nothing" .While a recent User's Video , explained this crash (Perhaps) , accuratley.It is a Video on youtube.The video link is :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Xd-oidwtsI

This crash is at a primitive stage presently but it will get worse eventually,as what happened before when i had Windows 8.I didn't expected this "Kernel-Power" BSOD Crash to return in Windows 7 , but it did...

Here is a picture of my System's Event Viewer showing the Name,Frequency & Description of this BSOD Crash... (See Pic - 3)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic - 1.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	220873   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic - 2.png
Views:	287
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	220881   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic - 3.png
Views:	87
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	220889  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2015, 10:22 PM   #2
Administrator
Manager, Microsoft Support
Acting Manager, Security
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahadhum View Post
However , after much unsuccessfull attempts to resolve the BSOD,i was only able to know the name of the CRASH which is "Kernel-Power".After taking to the repair shop,the reapairing guy couldn't fix this issue.So,he suggested to install " Windows 7 " . I agreed,now after like a week or so.That Kernel-Power issues came back.This time however,the system goes in to a 3 second BSOD and afterwords,restarts & then i get the message (See Pic - 2)
That repair guy should be shot! Get a refund for the copy of Windows 7 that you purchased. It is unnecessary.

You have a brand new system built for Windows 8.1 and that is what you should be running.

It is true that upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1 MAY result in BSODs due to driver compatibility issues, but that is not the case here since you did not upgrade, so there is no reason to downgrade to Windows 7.

"Kernel-Power" is not the cause of the crash. It is merely an Event Viewer error message telling you that your system unexpectedly shut down/ did not shut down properly, i.e., it crashed. Nothing in the recorded Event Viewer message remotely hints at the actual cause of the BSOD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahadhum View Post
Now,the online forums suggest various causes for this CRASH.Some people say, it's a hardware error.Some people say , it's a Virus.One person suggested to , change the power options and keep the "What will the power button do on pressing" to "Do nothing" .While a recent User's Video , explained this crash (Perhaps) , accuratley.It is a Video on youtube.The video link is :
Cause of the BSODs - Hardware failure is possible; virus is possible but very unlikely; software is possible (driver issues). I doubt that power settings are a factor at all. The cause will likely be either unknown hardware failure or a rogue driver.

You need to get Windows 8.1 back on that system. To do so, you will need your Windows 8.1 DVD; the HDD needs to be formatted first.

Wipe the HDD with KillDisk - Format HDD (low level format) - KillDisk - Sysnative Forums

Install Windows 8.1. If the system BSODs, please run the BSOD Posting Instructions so that we can get a look at the kernel memory mini-dumps + system files -

https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...ta-452654.html

You should also contact the system manufacturer for assistance under warranty.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`
Closed Thread