Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

User Tag List

Weird Application Crashes/Hardware Issues

This is a discussion on Weird Application Crashes/Hardware Issues within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Howdy. Ever since I upgraded my rig (HD 6870 + new case) a little less than a year ago (back

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 07:47 PM   #1
Registered Member

Howdy. Ever since I upgraded my rig (HD 6870 + new case) a little less than a year ago (back when the 6870 was first released), I have been having major problems. One thing has snowballed into another, and seeing as how these problems have occured over such a long amount of time, I will try to give the most details as I can for as far back as I can remember.

So this time roughly a year or less ago, I was needing to upgraded by rig. Most notably, I wanted to upgrade my aging Nvidia 9600 GT. I went ahead and purchased an HD6870, only to find it was a but long for my case by maybe 1/4th of an inch. I preceded to buy a new tower, only to find that I was getting occasional graphical issues with the card in some games (specifically, I would be playing the game, then the game would freeze, a black screen with white jagged lines would appear, the sound would studder rapidly, then the game would show the desktop but still be open,that is even though I was staring at my desktop, I could hear sounds/move around).

I did a lot of searching/asking around and was told my 450w power supply likely did not do the job correctly. So I upgraded to a 750w power supply, only to find a very weird error where the power supply would not turn on/off with the system. I asked around and on some forums and was told a faulty power supply was at fault. I then got another, considerably more expensive 700w power supply but the problem persisted.

I have tried damn near everything and I am beginning to think that perhaps my motherboard was at fault this whole time.

Currently the power supply issue and video card issue both still occur, although I am not sure if one is related to the other, however something tells me that they are.

I have tried:
-Updating video drivers, uninstalling them completely and reintalling, etc.
-Updating/reinstalling BIOS drivers.
-Manually removing and reinstalling my GPU.

According to all my temps, nothing is over heating (nothing is overclocked and my GPU temps are maxed at 61C).

Recently, a new issue has started occuring, where even in graphically unintensive games the game would freeze, a black screen with one or two jagged white lines running horizontally would appear, the sound would stutter for one or two seconds, the monitor would then shut off (lose feedback from the GPU) for roughly 3-5 seconds then the whole computer would automatically restart itself.

I am starting to think that upgrading my mobo/cpu is in order, however I want do one finally plea for help before I throw in the towel. I theorized that perhaps the power supply is not communicating with the motherboard due to a failure on the motherboard's part (the error is certainly not a problem with the power supply because it happened across two separate power supplies), causing other hardware failures such as the GPU's due to lack of electrical output, however diagnostic programs did not sure any errors at a glance, however I am admitably not too familiar with some of the things I should be looking for.

Specs:
GPU: AMD HD 6870
CPU: AMD Athlon x2 240 Processor, 2800 MHz, 2 Cores
4GB RAM
Mobo: ASRock A785GMH/128M

Also: While this many not be a BSOD, I figured this was the most appropriate forum due to it be related with application crashes and due to the fact that I am unsure as to which piece of hardware may be causing the problem.

Note: When games crash to desktop and continue to run, as described in the second paragraph, I sometimes notice a cautionary symbol system tray saying that the video drivers have failed and successfully recovered, however I am not sure if the driver failure is related with the power supply failure or something else).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2011, 08:29 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

You may wanna whip out HWMonitor and check voltages. If you see any deviation beyond 5% either way for the positive rails (like 4.75~5.25 for +5V rail), then you got a problem. Best to check this during gameplay when the system is stressed. If voltage readouts are available on your BIOS, you should check those too to get a baseline for how your power is fairing. If even the baseline is skewed, then you can bet your bottom dollar it's the PSU. Also, what brand is the PSU?

The TDR resets on your video card that you're experiencing (driver failed and successfully recovered) means your video card or drivers did not respond in a designated time frame, and Windows tried to kick it back into shape by refreshing the drivers. This is usually a hardware prob, as the driver will not do anything as it's waiting for a response from your video card, hence triggering TDR.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:08 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirGnarus View Post
You may wanna whip out HWMonitor and check voltages. If you see any deviation beyond 5% either way for the positive rails (like 4.75~5.25 for +5V rail), then you got a problem. Best to check this during gameplay when the system is stressed. If voltage readouts are available on your BIOS, you should check those too to get a baseline for how your power is fairing. If even the baseline is skewed, then you can bet your bottom dollar it's the PSU. Also, what brand is the PSU?

The TDR resets on your video card that you're experiencing (driver failed and successfully recovered) means your video card or drivers did not respond in a designated time frame, and Windows tried to kick it back into shape by refreshing the drivers. This is usually a hardware prob, as the driver will not do anything as it's waiting for a response from your video card, hence triggering TDR.
After doing a stress test, none of the rails went over or under 5% during the entirety of the test (more importantly, when I experienced the crash). I used HWinfo to do the test because of its logging function (I was not familiar with the one you linked, but I don't think the two are different at all). If you'd like to see the log, let me know and I'll upload it.

I also thought it was a power supply problem at first, but when the problem persisted after getting a different power supply (the problem being the power supply not turning off by itself and causing other hardware like the GPU to fail) I figured it was a problem with something else.

My current power supply specifications, as requested:
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2011, 02:52 PM   #4
Registered Member

Back (sorry, was out of town for the weekend).
Still need a solution to the above problem. Is it at all possible that this is the motherboard's fault as I've suspected?
Old 07-26-2011, 11:02 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

Go ahead and send us the HWinfo log. Also, while you're at it you should provide us the JCGriff report mentioned here. It may not seem like BSODs to you, but the automatic restarts may actually be BSODs that happen faster than it's able to project the blue screen (or it couldn't because of the video problems).

I noticed re-reading your first post that you never actually got to try out the new card until after you used the new tower. Given that all of this is very heavily graphics-based (TDRs, graphic glitches, video loss, etc.), have you ever considered that this could be a bad video card you just purchased? It is not uncommon to receive new PC hardware that is DOA. Swap with your older card to see if the issues continue.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:26 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Go ahead and send us the HWinfo log. Also, while you're at it you should provide us the JCGriff report mentioned here. It may not seem like BSODs to you, but the automatic restarts may actually be BSODs that happen faster than it's able to project the blue screen (or it couldn't because of the video problems).

I noticed re-reading your first post that you never actually got to try out the new card until after you used the new tower. Given that all of this is very heavily graphics-based (TDRs, graphic glitches, video loss, etc.), have you ever considered that this could be a bad video card you just purchased? It is not uncommon to receive new PC hardware that is DOA. Swap with your older card to see if the issues continue.
While I considered it might have been my GPU, I figured that it wasn't simply because I don't see how the GPU would cause the power supply to stay on after turning off the computer. The two may be two seperate issues that coincidentally happened together (that is to say the problem with the PSU and the problems with graphics crashing may be unrelated), however it seems that one likely may be causing the other. I'll try to use an old card and see if my problems persist (both with the graphical errors and the power supply not turning on).

I'll also run jcgriff tests and upload the logs in a moment.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:45 PM   #7
Registered Member

While I am once again a bit stressed for time (so I'll have to do the jcgriff test later), here are the logs I spoke of earlier (you may want to convert this file to .csv for easier reading).
Attached Files
File Type: txt voltagecheck.txt (183.5 KB, 25 views)
Old 07-29-2011, 06:27 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

It's been a few days, have you managed to progress on anything, such as trying another card or performing the JCGriff report? Thanks.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:29 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
It's been a few days, have you managed to progress on anything, such as trying another card or performing the JCGriff report? Thanks.
I have. Forgive me for my irregular replies, I am unfortunately quite busy as of recently so I am unable to dedicate as much time as I'd like to this issue.

First off, I am now very sure that there is an issue with the motherboard. Why? Because whenever I remove the 12-pin connector from the motherboard, the power supply no longer has any issues with remaining on.

As with the video card, the problems still persist. I am still unsure as to whether the motherboard is also to blame with the video problems, or if the GPU is simply faulty. I suppose the only logical step now would be to update my aging motherboard (which will undoubtedly fix my issues with the power supply) and see if my GPU problems persist. I have been unable to find the time to run the JCGriff report recently, but the moment I get the time I will certainly update you. Thanks a ton so far for your assistance so far, you've really been a great help.

Also, in regards to trying another card, I have not yet been able to do that, however removing my card and running with onboard video did not fix the issue of the power supply (although I was unable to actually stress test to see if I got video problems due to my onboard video not being up to snuff enough to actually test that).

My old GPU is in a box in the back of closet, once I dig it out (it's an old 9600 GT) I've give it a go.

Thanks again with your help so far.
Closed Thread