Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

User Tag List

[SOLVED] Windows Vista - BSOD's while trying to bootup, now also BSOD's whilst reinst

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Windows Vista - BSOD's while trying to bootup, now also BSOD's whilst reinst within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all, really getting a headache trying to fix my mums laptop out but I am struggling miserably. I have

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 03:40 PM   #1
Registered Member

Evil

Hi all, really getting a headache trying to fix my mums laptop out but I am struggling miserably.

I have no idea what she has done, obviously claiming to have done nothing but basically I got a text this morning asking me to take a look at the laptop because it wont turn on.

First thing is the Windows bootup screen, improper shutdown asking to boot in safemode/normal etc. I chose normal and just as it was about to boot into Windows a fast BSOD appeared for a split second and then the laptop restarted, to the same screen. This time I chose Last known configuration, same happened. The BSOD's were so fast I cannot get a glance at it.
I tried in safe mode and it seemed fine, but I didnt know what I should try to do. So I did a system restore and this worked ok but again it wouldnt boot up.

After hours of trying, I googled some and downloaded Windows Vista Recovery Disc and I attempted the Automatic System Repair but it told me failed to detect any problems. Tried it again, and same. So then I attempted to boot it back up, but nope. BSOD again.

The laptop did come with a typical recovery disc but I am unable to find that, and the Windows Vista label is stuck underneath the Laptop so I downloaded a copy of Windows Vista to install and I managed to format the harddrive.

Now this is what bugs me, I cannot even install a fresh copy of Windows, I am actually trying again as we speak but even whilst "Copying the files" on the Windows installation, it BSOD's on that too.

Like I said I was unable to even get a glance at the BSOD messages whilst windows was installed on those boot up failures, however the BSOD messages whilst trying to install Windows are very readable as they do not disappear.

The first one I recall mentioning: NTFS or NTSF (dot) sys [ ntfs.sys ]

The second one I only recall the top line which was: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

And the third one which I was just about to write in detail as it was still on my screen, has just disappeared :/ It was again a totally different message though!

Im very confused, and it makes it worse because Ive built several PCs so I know the insides of those quite well and also have plenty of spare parts, but not for laptops. I have never even seen inside of a laptop before, and certainly have no spare parts to test out.

Anyone able to help me out with this, I feel

The laptop is a Packard Bell SJ51
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2010, 03:54 PM   #2
Registered Member

Memory_Management

STOP: 0x000000001A (0x00041284. 0xA4884001....

I just tried again for 4th time and I managed to type this much above ^^ before the laptop restarted itself :(
Old 09-19-2010, 09:30 PM   #3
TSF Team Emeritus

It's hardware. Too many errors all over the place for it not to be (especially with the problems during re-install).

So, run a memtest
Quote:
Memtest86+ - Instructions:

Download the ISO (or the .exe for USB drives) from here https://www.memtest.org/#downiso

Then (if you have chosen the ISO) burn the ISO using IsoRecorder: ISO Recorder v3 Download (How to use IsoRecorder)

Boot from the CD/USB and run the test (at least 7 passes)
Then because of the mention of ntfs.sys (Windows Hard-drive Driver) run a hard drive test too.

Quote:
START -> type cmd.exe -> Right-click -> run as admin -> type chkdsk /r /f -> Press Y at prompt -> restart computer.

Also to check the drive's physical state run SeaTools

Download SeaTools for DOS from here: https://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.js...00dd04090aRCRD

Burn to disk using ISO Recorder too - then boot into it.

After it has detected the drive, select Basic Tests, then Long Test and let it run.
Regards,
Reventon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2010, 10:26 PM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks for the response Reventon
I will get those done today, not sure of what sort of results to expect yet so dont mind this question if its silly, but is it worth me posting the results here for yourself or somebody to determine whats what, or will it be obvious anyway.

Not even sure if its possible to replace RAM in a laptop as easily as in a desktop pc, or maybe it is. Im just wondering whether or not to give my mum the bad news now or later.. that she needs to buy a new laptop
Old 09-19-2010, 10:35 PM   #5
Registered Member

Hehe I would like to take a screenshot at this for you, you may find it rather amusing! :P (The mem test)
Old 09-19-2010, 10:40 PM   #6
Registered Member

Okay well that picture didnt come out so well, basically the lower half of the screen; every single one of them is red. Currently on test #5, "WallTime" says 6minutes.

Pass = 0
Errors = 26368

Im guessing they are the important parts of the test anyway
Old 09-19-2010, 10:48 PM   #7
Enthusiast

My System

if memtets is bringing up red (which is basically failures) it means the ram is damaged/faulty or not contacting properly to the motherboard. Try reseating the ram.

second you want to let windows show what the BSODS are so when you get into windows you want to do a right click my computer > properties > advanced > startup and recovery and uncheck auto restart on error. This allows you to see what the bsods are but it requires you to manually reboot the computer by pressing the reset button.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:51 PM   #8
Registered Member

Trying to do the CHKDSK command now via the command prompt option in Vista's recovery disc (note I have no O/S on my system still)

I tried chkdsk /r /f and it says -

Cannot lock current drive
Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected.

The current, location? on the command prompt is, "X:/Sources" im not sure if thats totally wrong or anything, but unable to change it.

Gona do the SeaTools now.

/SeaTools is working fine, its now testing (LongTest).

Thanks for that reply greenbrucelee, thats something I will definately do to check if the ram has become lose.
I cant check for BSOD's though, I have still been unable to actually install Windows since I formatted
Old 09-19-2010, 11:00 PM   #9
Enthusiast

My System

did your format and delete the old partition before reinstalling windows?

did you try chkdsk -f and for the volume to dismount and say yes to run chkdsk when windows starts?

have you checked the bios? some bios have lock hard drive option which will need disabled.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:13 PM   #10
Registered Member

yeah ive always formatted, deleted partion, created new one, and then format again for the sake of it before i choose to install the new windows

I didnt try -f though no, and I havent touched the bios tbh. will wait for this seatools to finish first, then will give them a try
Old 09-19-2010, 11:20 PM   #11
TSF Team Emeritus

With that Memtest result - if reseating the RAM doesn't fix it then you will need to replace the RAM sticks - you may want to try swapping the sticks between slots and testing one at a time so you can determine if the problem lies with the motherboard instead.

Oh, and don't worry about the chkdsk - I meant to take that bit out because it doesn't apply to your situation with no working OS install.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:23 PM   #12
Registered Member

Ah right
So if this SeaTools test goes smoothly, its on 45% atm. I can assume the harddrive is ok? At least for now, so I will get looking into the RAM pronto !
Old 09-20-2010, 12:11 AM   #13
Registered Member

Bah.
SeaTools has sort of completed, though it says 95%; however a popup window has appeared.

Long Test Errors:
Your SeaTools TestCode is : A8A59958

Unfortunately your Seagate hard drive has failed an important diagnostic test, possibly caused by problem sectors which are difficult to read.

Nevermind -

It allowed the repair, and now it says "Passed after repair". So harddrive, is fine?
Old 09-20-2010, 12:24 AM   #14
TSF Team Emeritus

I would replace the RAM first - then re-test the drive. The reason for that is because SeaTools is loaded in RAM, which could lead to "false" errors under faulty RAM.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:55 AM   #15
Registered Member

I believe I have found the culprit
Just tested 1 stick of ram in both slots, errors
Now testing the other stick of ram for the first time alone in one slot, and so far no errors.
Until I order new RAM, I will be ok to just use this one stick for now wont I? And hopefully get Windows installed n stuff, easily adding the new RAM later on in the week without having to configure anything or am I wrong?

What do you advise to do now
Old 09-20-2010, 02:13 AM   #16
TSF Team Emeritus

Yes, use just 1 stick for now.

See if you can get Windows installed with just that - but be aware that your hard drive may still be faulty, and you may have to replace that too.

When you get the RAM - try to get a brand new set if possible. This will save you running into any errors on the "clean" stick that you did not pick up.

If you wish to check what RAM is compatible, there is a good program here - https://www.crucial.com/promo/index.aspx
Old 09-20-2010, 04:27 AM   #17
Registered Member

Awesome thanks a million both of you
Windows is up and running and everything seems fine, thanks for all the help!
Old 09-20-2010, 06:26 AM   #18
Administrator
Manager, Microsoft Support
Acting Manager, Security
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Glad all is running now.

Thanks for posting back.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`