Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

User Tag List

[SOLVED] Regular BSOD - DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Regular BSOD - DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, This is the first time I've posted online about a technical problem. Normally, I'm able to find solutions by

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 01:14 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,

This is the first time I've posted online about a technical problem. Normally, I'm able to find solutions by reading forums such as these and trying out the solutions myself. Except in this case, where I am flummoxed. I will try to provide the necessary info., please let me know if I need to give any more details. Thanks.

I have an Alienware M14x, purchased in January 2012.
Windows 7 64-bit, i7 2670 QM, 8 GB RAM DDR3 1600 MHZ,

I have been experiencing regular BSOD errors over the past 3 weeks. I do not have any trouble while booting. These crashes occur randomly, while the laptop is on. It is mostly a DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and indicates a problem with netio.sys, except on one occasion when it pointed to tcpipreg.sys. I have read that netio.sys is probably not the driver at fault, it just indicates that there is some faulty driver. I did try to use Windbg, based on online tutorials, but my knowledge was too basic for that. I do not know how to analyze crash dumps, so I was not able to pinpoint the exact problem.
I have attached the last 8 dump files. (And can provide around 15 more, believe it or not).

I have updated all drivers, through windows as well as from vendor sites. I have already carried out most of the basic tests, including memory test (MEMTest86) and virtual page file. I also turned Driver Verifier on to detect any faulty driver, in the hope that the crash dumps would yield better information to me, but to no avail. Hopefully, these attached crash dumps should provide the answers. Thanks a lot!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Minidump Files.zip (199.7 KB, 32 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2012, 01:39 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hello madmangosteen and welcome to TSF!

Most of the dumps attached are D1: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL bugchecks all pointing to NETIO.sys. I've noticed in earlier dumps they're verifier enabled and pointing to tcpipreg.sys. There's an extreme consistency here, even though both of those drivers are system drivers and not 3rd party, with the sheer amount of NETIO culprits and the consistency of them, I believe we have a network driver issue here... or possibly something else faulting NETIO like an anti virus.

McAfee has been known specifically to cause this issue among others. Uninstall McAfee using the following tool, do NOT uninstall it through control panel:

https://download.mcafee.com/products/...tches/MCPR.exe

After removing McAfee I would recommend installing Microsoft Security Essentials temporarily (keep if you like, of course) for troubleshooting purposes.

Update your network drivers. The most important are the ones you use, either Wifi (wireless) or NIC (wired).

Dell Support
https://support.dell.com/

Dell Drivers - Product Manuals & Warranty Info (left side) - Tech Support and more
https://support.dell.com/support/inde...=us&l=en&s=dhs

Dell Forums
https://en.community.dell.com/forums/

Regards,

Patrick
Old 07-20-2012, 01:43 AM   #3
Registered Member

Having just seen the instructions, I'll make a few modifications:

OS - Windows 7 SP1
64 bit
Original OS - Windows 7 64 bit (Same)
OEM
Age of hardware: 6 months
OS never reinstalled

CPU - i7 2670 QM
Video Card - GT 555M
Motherboard - Intel HM67

System Manufacturer - Dell (Alienware)
Model Number - M14x R1

I've also attached the crash dump files requested after running the two tools.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Dump Analysis Files.zip (2.15 MB, 93 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2012, 01:49 AM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks Patrick!

I will try out your suggestions right away.
When you say temporarily, does that mean that I can reinstall McAfee later, or should I stay away from it completely?
I recently started a USB Internet stick (I'm interning away from university for two months). I have also started using an ad-hoc connection through my laptop running the USB stick, so that I could share the Internet connection with my other wifi devices. Furthermore, I was using a static IP configuration at home, and have now switched it to dynamic. Could any of these changes, static-dynamic or new ad-hoc, have caused this problem?
Old 07-20-2012, 01:55 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmangosteen View Post
Thanks Patrick!

I will try out your suggestions right away.
When you say temporarily, does that mean that I can reinstall McAfee later, or should I stay away from it completely?
I recently started a USB Internet stick (I'm interning away from university for two months). I have also started using an ad-hoc connection through my laptop running the USB stick, so that I could share the Internet connection with my other wifi devices. Furthermore, I was using a static IP configuration at home, and have now switched it to dynamic. Could any of these changes, static-dynamic or new ad-hoc, have caused this problem?
1. Stay away from it completely.

2. It's very possible, unfortunately my network knowledge is my downfall so I wouldn't be able to help you there in regards to how to fix it if it is the issue.

We'll take things one step at a time and get it sorted :)

Regards,

Patrick
Old 07-20-2012, 02:22 AM   #6
Registered Member

Well I did as you suggested. I guess the only thing to do now is wait for it to crash (or not) ?
Old 07-20-2012, 02:31 AM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hopefully not! :)

Keep me updated.

Regards,

Patrick
Old 08-08-2012, 09:56 AM   #8
Registered Member

Hey,

I followed the steps you outlined. Apart from one Driver Verifier induced crash, I haven't had any problems so far. I disabled Driver Verifier about 10 days ago and my machine has been running smoothly without any more crashes. Looks like McAfee was either the problem by itself, or else causing a conflict with the network driver.
Thanks a lot for the help!
Old 08-08-2012, 05:11 PM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

My pleasure, glad to hear your issue is gone. You can mark the thread solved by clicking "thread tools" at the top of the page and setting it to solved.

Regards,

Patrick
Closed Thread