Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

User Tag List

[SOLVED] I get black screen after coming back from screen saver/idle

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] I get black screen after coming back from screen saver/idle within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. ∑ OS - Windows 7 SP1 ∑ x64 ∑ What was original installed OS on system? Windows 8 ∑ Is

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 08:57 PM   #1
Registered Member

∑ OS - Windows 7 SP1
∑ x64
∑ What was original installed OS on system? Windows 8
∑ Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from retailer)? Retail Version
∑ Age of system (hardware) 4 months
∑ Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS? 1 week

∑ CPU Core i5-3330
∑ Video Card Nvidia GT 620
∑ MotherBoard
∑ Power Supply - brand & wattage 300w

∑ System Manufacturer Dell
∑ Exact model number: Inspiron 660
Added Samsung 830 128gb SSD + 3TG Seagate in replaced of the original 2TB Seagate HDD.

I have tried reinstalling Nvidia drivers, currently use the older version 310.90
Previously used 314.22.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Grumpie.zip (972.3 KB, 762 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2013, 06:50 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

The following may be helpful when reading the remainder of this post:
Beta and Legacy Drivers | GeForce
Quote:
NVIDIA Driver Downloads

Advanced Driver Search

Product Type: GeForce
Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit
Product Series: GeForce 600 Series
Language:
Product: GeForce GT 620
Recommended/Beta: Recommended/Certified

Search
Code:
 	 	Name 	 	 	 	Version Release Date
 	GeForce 314.22 Driver WHQL 	 	314.22 	March 25, 2013
 	GeForce 314.07 Driver WHQL 	 	314.07 	February 18, 2013
 	GeForce 310.90 Driver WHQL 	 	310.90 	January 5, 2013
 	GeForce 310.70 Driver WHQL 	 	310.70 	December 17, 2012
 	GeForce 306.97 Driver WHQL 	 	306.97 	October 10, 2012
 	GeForce 306.23 Driver WHQL 	 	306.23 	September 13, 2012
 	GeForce 301.42 Driver WHQL 	 	301.42 	May 22, 2012
BugCheck 0x117
These crashes are DirectX/graphics card related. DirectX comes installed with Windows, so this may indicate Windows corruption. It may also be that you have corrupted drivers or a graphics card hardware problem.
  • If you are overclocking any hardware, please stop.

• Run a system file check to check Windows for corruption:
    1. Click Start Menu
    2. Click All Programs
    3. Click Accessories
    4. Right click Command Prompt
    5. Click Run as administrator
    6. Type
      Code:
      sfc /scannow
      and press Enter
    7. Once it is complete, make note of the message. If it says Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations., restart your computer and post back
    8. If the message does not say Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations., restart your computer and do steps 1-6 again.
    9. You may need to do steps 1-6 up to three times with a restart in between each run to resolve all corrupted files.
    10. If you still have corrupted files after a fourth run, post back here with the following:
      1. Click Start Menu
      2. Click Computer
      3. Open your C: drive
      4. Open Windows
      5. Open Logs
      6. Open CBS
      7. Copy and paste CBS.log or CBS (it may not have the log extension) to a location you will remember.
      8. Compress (zip) the CBS file and attach the .zip file to your next post.

Follow the steps for Diagnosing basic problems with DirectX. To re-install your display card drivers as outlined in the DirectX link, use the following steps.
  1. Download the drivers you want for your display card(s)
  2. Click Start Menu
  3. Click Control Panel
  4. Click Uninstall a program
  5. For NVIDIA:
    • Uninstall the NVIDIA Graphics Driver (this should uninstall all NVIDIA software and drivers)
    • Restart your computer
    • Make sure NVIDIA 3D Vision Driver, NVIDIA 3D Vision Video Player, NVIDIA HD Audio Driver, and NVIDIA PhysX System Software are not still listed under Uninstall a program through Control Panel
    • If any remain of the above, uninstall one at a time
    • If asked to restart after uninstalling any of the above, do so, and continue uninstalling any remaining NVIDIA items until all are removed
  6. For AMD:
    • Uninstall AMD Catalyst Install Manager if it is listed (this should remove all AMD graphics software and drivers)
    • If AMD Catalyst Install Manager is not listed, use the following method to uninstall the graphics drivers (this applies to onboard graphics, as well):
      1. Click Start Menu
      2. Right Click My Computer/Computer
      3. Click Manage
      4. Click Device Manager from the list on the left
      5. Expand Display adapters
      6. Do the following for each adapter (in case you have multiple display cards)
        • Right click the adapter
        • Click Uninstall (do not click OK in the dialog box that pops up after hitting Uninstall)
        • Put a tick in Delete driver software for this device (if this option is available, otherwise just hit OK) and hit OK
      Alternatively:
      1. Login as an adminstrative user
      2. Click Start Menu
      3. Click Control Panel
      4. Click Hardware and Sound
      5. Click Device Manager (the last link under Devices and Printers)
      6. Expand Display adapters
      7. Do the following for each adapter (in case you have multiple display cards)
        • Right click the adapter
        • Click Uninstall (do not click OK in the dialog box that pops up after hitting Uninstall)
        • Put a tick in Delete driver software for this device (if this option is available, otherwise just hit OK) and hit OK
  7. Restart your computer after uninstalling drivers for all display cards
  8. Install the driver you selected for the display cards once Windows starts

Remember to try multiple versions of the graphics drivers, download them fresh, and install the freshly downloaded drivers.

Quote:
Before you proceed with the following, answer these two questions: Are you still under warranty? Does your warranty allow you to open up the machine to check hardware? If you are unsure of the answers to these questions, contact your system manufacturer. WARNING: The steps that follow can void your warranty!!!

For 0x117 Video TDR Error crashes: A 0x117 TDR crash means the system sent a signal to the display card to refresh the video, and the display card did not respond but did eventually recover. This may be due to a driver error or a hardware error with respect to the display card.

-----
Old 04-23-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
Registered Member

I did sfc /scannow and it says Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

I have not got chance to do the DirectX diagnosing because I have to go to work.

This computer did not have issue when it had Windows 8 OEM installed.
I didn't like Windows 8 and want to go back to Windows 7 therefore I installed the Windows 7 on a new SSD drive.
I also had to change the BOOT from UEFI to Legacy because it would not detect bootable on SSD, HDD and USB thumbdrive.

I also tried Speccy and temperature looks normal around 37 Celcius.

Is it safe to say that it is not hardware issue?

I am considering reinstall the Windows 7 and start from scratch if it is Windows corrupt or Nvidia/DirectX driver corrupt.

What do you think? Thank you for your advise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2013, 11:27 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

If the OEM version worked, it is likely not hardware and probably a driver issue with the newer hardware and Windows 7. A couple questions follow to sort out what might be a possible cause.

Where did you obtain the version of Windows 7 you are using?

It may be better to get Windows 7 from Dell (for free or at a marginal cost) as part of the downgrade option for Windows 8 for users who do not like Windows 8.

Where did you obtain the display drivers you are currently using: from Dell or from NVIDIA directly?

-----
Old 04-23-2013, 11:44 AM   #5
Registered Member

I got the Windows 7 Retail, my brother works at MS.

I tried the Dell display driver at first, in between I might have installed the windows update's Nvidia driver when I did windows update, later I get the driver from Nvidia directly.

The last driver install from Nvidia I did clean install and only install the display driver and left out all other additional components but still does not fix the issue.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:50 AM   #6
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

The drivers you need and must use are Dell's they have the drivers modified to work with their hardware and nvidea does not support it

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:12 AM   #7
Registered Member

I did uninstall and reinstall with the Dell's Nvidia driver but the problem still exists so I eventually reinstall the whole windows 7 and now it works fine.

Lesson learned, use Dell's driver and never use Windows Update's driver.

Thanks everyone.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:18 AM   #8
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Glad you got it sorted sometimes it is just easier to start fresh

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Closed Thread