Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

User Tag List

[SOLVED] BSOD, New Built System, occurs randomly, every few hours

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] BSOD, New Built System, occurs randomly, every few hours within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello All, Some background: I treated myself to a new computer, which I built from components, and which runs wonderfully,

Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 10:31 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello All,

Some background: I treated myself to a new computer, which I built from components, and which runs wonderfully, save for seemingly random blue-screens-of-death, which occur once every few days/several hours.

I've performed a memtest86+ on my ram sticks, and after 2 full passes (took about three hours) I found no errors. I've checked the hard discs for errors. I've completely re-installed my operating system, and then installed one driver at a time, using the latest versions I could find, or defaulting to what Microsoft windows update could find, in hopes of maximizing compatibility. I called both my graphics card and power supply manufacturer - both have assured me that my power-supply is adequate to power my system, and especially, to power my graphics card. I called Microsoft, who said they would try to fix it (no guarantees), it would cost $99, and they would only support the fix for 90 days...not a very appealing solution.

I've begun to delve into using tools to analyze the BSOD reports, but nothing really sticks out to my eye, and frankly, I've quite new at it, so I doubt I really know what to look for.

I'd really like to figure out what's causing the issue, and stabilize my system.
Here are the specs:
  1. Operating System: Windows 7 Professional x64
  2. Freshly installed (twice!) on SSD drive
  3. This was the original OS installed on the hardware
  4. System components have been assembled for about 2 weeks
  5. OS freshly re-installed on 15 August 2012
  6. Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
  7. Graphics Card: XFX Double D FX-785A-CDFC Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
  8. Power Supply: RAIDMAX Blackstone series RX-700AC 700W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified
  9. Processor: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K
  10. System Drive: Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
  11. RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-16GXM
  12. Data Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

I've followed the instructions here: https://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-452654.html#post3045922

And I have uploaded the zip file as an attachment. Thanks so much for any and all help.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Windows7_Vista_jcgriff2.zip (972.2 KB, 42 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2012, 11:02 PM   #2
Registered Member

**NOTE perfmon is INSIDE the folder contained in the zip archive
Old 08-15-2012, 11:11 PM   #3
Registered Member

Follow the instructions given in the link below
How to fix BlueScreen (STOP) errors that cause Windows Vista to shut down or restart unexpectedly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2012, 11:15 PM   #4
Registered Member

Can these steps in the article be taken for Windows 7? It seems that the article is targeted at Windows Vista users. Thank you for the reply.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:18 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranjit View Post
Also, regarding this, windows update reports that it is up to date. Since my computer was built by me, its drivers originate from all kinds of sources. I have installed all the latest drivers, to the best of my ability, from each components' manufacturer website.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:36 PM   #6
Registered Member

try this link instead..hope this helps
How To Fix a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD)
Old 08-16-2012, 12:38 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
try this link instead..hope this helps
How To Fix a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD)
I will give this a shot. One 'long-shot' fix I found relates to installing RAM in one slot, vs installing it in another. Not sure if it will fix things, but I re-checked my motherboard manual, and changed the slots my RAM live in, like this guy experianced: [Solved] BSOD When 2 Sticks of RAM installed - asrock - Motherboards-Memory

Thanks very much for your suggestions!
Old 08-16-2012, 02:20 AM   #8
Registered Member

anytime buddy..check whether your issue gets solved or not and then freely comment.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:10 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
anytime buddy..check whether your issue gets solved or not and then freely comment.
The first step of that link tells me to revert my system to the last stable state, but I'm not really sure when the last known configuration of my system was. Earliest system restore point I have was just before I turned on the driver-verifier, after everything had updated.

Yesterday morning, I had re-installed my OS, and began installing drivers one at a time (maybe I should create a restore point before each driver is installed?). No problems really. However, when I attempted to update windows, it failed many times, but slowly, it failed less and less. Then, after the last update, I got a blue-screen. My computer crashed after I tried to install Oracle's VirtualBox.

Yesterday, before going to bed enabled driver-verifier and tried to a do a program installation - as this seems to be something that makes my system unstable.

I woke up and found no blue-screen, but that the system had shutdown improperly. There was a stack-dump file inside the directory where I installed the program.

So, long story short - I'm wondering if the proper way to follow this link you sent is to simply reinstall my OS again and use system restore points between each change I make for hardware or software...Otherwise I'd be concerned that following the list out of order will not really result in a fix. I'd better summarize what I've done so far (from the website):
  1. Reinstalled OS yesterday morning, installing drivers for my motherboard (ethernet, USB ports, SATA, CPU etc - all I/O), graphics card, and sound.
  2. Windows partition has plenty of space - 17.9 GB out of 59.9 GB (its an SSD)
  3. Virus Scan - I have active protection with Microsoft Security Essentials (do a full system scan?)
  4. I've applied all updates from microsoft
  5. I've updated all hardware drivers
  6. Event Viewer: shows three critical errors in last 24 hours (sounds right) where the system shutdown unexpectedly. Only one of these was accompanied with a blue-screen, the others were not - the computer became unresponsive (I left it alone, for quite some time, hoping it would blue screen, so I could get some info, but nothing). The event viewer also shows 428 errors in the last 24 hours (most from windows update) a few from kernal-event-tracing. Finally, it shows 64 warnings in the past 24 hours.
  7. Device Manager - I scanned for hardware changes and got a message that my PCI Simple Communications Controller does not have a driver. Is this related to my graphics card? It played skyrim yesterday, flawlessly (well, save for a game-crash when I was alt-tabbing around...), but regardless, the graphics card appears elsewhere on the Device List, and windows reports its driver is up to date.
  8. Reseat cables, connections. I've done this.
  9. I've updated my BIOS

I'm starting to run out of ideas. I had many many blue screens before reinstalling my OS, now I've just had the one, plus two lock-ups with no blue screen.

My thought on proceeding: reinstall OS again (siigh) this time, using system restore points between all changes. Before I do that, I'll try to install this missing driver, even though I'm not sure its doing anything.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-16-2012, 09:21 PM   #10
Registered Member

Update: After running through the BSOD repair steps, I've noticed that the blue-screens have not reappeared yet. However, new problems have arisen. When trying to shut down my computer, the system freezes. When trying to boot up the computer, it freezes.

I suspect this may be part of the driver-verifier.

Also, I noted that my motherboard was running my system SSD as a HDD. I switched the option to run it as an SSD.

So, it seems, no improvements to system stability, yet.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:45 AM   #11
Registered Member

Hi,

Method 1

Check if the issue persists in the safe mode.

Start your computer in safe mode
Restart the computer to get back to the normal mode

Method 2

If the issue does not persist in the safe mode then try the below step

There is a possibility that some third party programs installed on the computer is causing the slow shutdown process.
I would suggest that you perform clean boot and check.

To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows Vista or Windows 7 by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

Refer the below link to know more about clean boot procedure.
How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7
How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

Reset the computer to start as usual
After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to reset the computer to start as usual:
a) Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
b) If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
c) On the General tab, click the Normal Startup option, and then click OK.
d) When you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart.

Also refer :Optimize Windows Vista for better performance

Hope this helps!
Old 08-17-2012, 02:21 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Hi,

Method 1

Check if the issue persists in the safe mode.

Restart the computer to get back to the normal mode
Okay - I did this. After a freeze (booted in "normal mode") I tried to boot to safe mode. The first attempt failed, and I got messages about master-boot-record problems. However, I tried again, and the safe-mode boot worked. Windows boots fine, and did not crash. How long should I remain in safe-mode before I can determine that there are no driver/software conflicts?

Quote:
Method 2

If the issue does not persist in the safe mode then try the below step

There is a possibility that some third party programs installed on the computer is causing the slow shutdown process.
I would suggest that you perform clean boot and check.

To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows Vista or Windows 7 by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

Refer the below link to know more about clean boot procedure.

Reset the computer to start as usual
After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to reset the computer to start as usual:
a) Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
b) If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
c) On the General tab, click the Normal Startup option, and then click OK.
d) When you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart.

Also refer :Optimize Windows Vista for better performance

Hope this helps!
Okay - I have done a 'clean-boot'. I plan on simply using my computer in this mode for a while, to see if anything crashes. No symptoms have appeared yet, but I have not been booted for very long.

Additional note: I have not had another blue-screen incident since I reinstalled my OS a few days ago. However, now the symptoms seem to be:
  1. Random freezing - time between freezes takes between a few minutes, to several hours
  2. Frequent failure of windows update

I have doubts that this is related to a virus, as my OS was installed on a blank hard-drive. I am using Microsoft Security Essentials, and this was the first program to be installed on my computer before any other program.

I'll report back if/when I get a freeze/lockup while booted in "clean boot" mode.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:20 PM   #13
Registered Member

Update: System crashed while running in Clean-Boot mode. I restarted into Safe-Mode with Networking and will run the system for several hours, or until a crash happens.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:54 PM   #14
Registered Member

Remove your GPU from the system for sometime. Also check if all the connection are proper in your cabinet. Start your Windows and see if problem persist(without GPU in the system).
If this is the solution to your problem then your GPU has been damaged then you can claim for replacement/repair if its under warranty or replaced it with new one.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:10 AM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Remove your GPU from the system for sometime. Also check if all the connection are proper in your cabinet. Start your Windows and see if problem persist(without GPU in the system).
If this is the solution to your problem then your GPU has been damaged then you can claim for replacement/repair if its under warranty or replaced it with new one.
Okay - I have done the following:
  1. Checked all hardware connections inside the case
  2. Removed and re-seated the GPU
  3. Removed the solid-state drive
  4. Reinstalled Windows 7 64 bit on the Western Digital Caviar
  5. Installed only the ethernet driver for the mother board
  6. Installed google chrome
  7. Installed Avast Antivirus

I'm running only off the integrated graphics of my intel chip, I haven't installed any graphics drivers for my graphics card yet. So far, my computer has run over-night without crashing.

I've had to retry updating my computer a few times (updates failed, but later succeeded). Windows explorer stopped working during this morning's update, but recovered.

I'll report back if/when there are more crashes. I'll be making system restore points before adding each new driver or hard-ware.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:35 PM   #16
Registered Member

No hardware crashes, however, there seems to be a serious problem with the windows updater - this problem has persisted through all installations.

My installation media is a live-usb. I looked into the errors given by the windows updater, and applied all hot-fixes, but I think the final problem is that perhaps the live-usb has been corrupted somehow.

I have an image of windows 7 64bit whose md5sum checks out. I have switched to a dvd installation media, same hardware configuration of my previous post.

If the updater works, then I think ... maybe ... we have found the solution.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:27 PM   #17
Registered Member

Update: Drivers for motherboard seem to install correctly, however, Windows Update continuously fails, even after I switched installation media. I'm really starting to run out of ideas here.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:26 PM   #18
Registered Member

Update: I seem to have identified the problem with windows update - it actually can't figure out the correct order to install updates. I started with the update: KB2647753. Then, I installed updates by update-group - the next set I installed was the general system updates, followed by security updates, followed by .NET updates, and finally internet explorer 9.

Things seem to be going smoothly (ish), though I still haven't installed graphics drivers for my discrete card, or reconnected my solid-state drive.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:14 AM   #19
Registered Member

As i suspected your GPU was the culprit behind the system crash. Mostly the problems are related to GPU and the driver we install. So now contact your GPU manufacturer and take proper guidance from him as what to do to get the problem solve.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:25 AM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
As i suspected your GPU was the culprit behind the system crash. Mostly the problems are related to GPU and the driver we install. So now contact your GPU manufacturer and take proper guidance from him as what to do to get the problem solve.
I would like to be certain of this issue. I ran my computer overnight with the GPU installed with driver, and in the morning, the computer was still on, and hadn't crashed. However, the catalyst control system crashed when I tried to open my browser.

No system crashes, though.

I've had other computers where this happens occasionally, but those systems were otherwise stable.

Maybe re-running windows driver-verifier might indicate an issue? I have done that before, without success.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback/help, its very appreciated.
Closed Thread