Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

User Tag List

[SOLVED] BSOD help. Blank screen after BIOS pop up and blue screen while trying to re

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] BSOD help. Blank screen after BIOS pop up and blue screen while trying to re within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello everyone. I'm new the the forums here (as in just registered), but I need some help please. Basically after

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 04:42 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello everyone. I'm new the the forums here (as in just registered), but I need some help please. Basically after attempting to open firefox today (as I have probably over 20 times a day for the last year at least), I received a blue screen of death, and now my computer seems to be shot. I know how difficult it is to diagnose something without being able to see it, so I made a short little 4 min video of me trying to turn it on and what it does. Hopefully this has happened to at least someone before.

Blue Screen of Death - YouTube
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2012, 05:16 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hi,

From the video you provided (which is great, by the way)... your system is failing to POST. Essentially if the system detects that a device or component is failing to provide the accurate information, which ensures that it would then be safe to run, the system will not POST.

From the looks of it, your hard drive or memory appears to be the issue which is the issue in most of the cases like this as you're BSOD'ing right after loading the Windows disc and after it loads the files necessary for the install.

My current advice:

1. Clear / reset the CMOS and try booting up and or loading the disc again.

2. If possible using another system, possibly a laptop... etc, download and run Memtest86+ -

Memtest86+:

Quote:
Download Memtest86+ here:
Quote:

https://www.memtest.org/

Which should I download?

You can either download the pre-compiled ISO that you would burn to a CD and then boot from the CD, or you can download the auto-installer for the USB key. What this will do is format your USB drive, make it a bootable device, and then install the necessary files. Both do the same job, it's just up to you which you choose, or which you have available (whether it's CD or USB).

How Memtest works:

Memtest86 writes a series of test patterns to most memory addresses, reads back the data written, and compares it for errors.

The default pass does 9 different tests, varying in access patterns and test data. A tenth test, bit fade, is selectable from the menu. It writes all memory with zeroes, then sleeps for 90 minutes before checking to see if bits have changed (perhaps because of refresh problems). This is repeated with all ones for a total time of 3 hours per pass.

Many chipsets can report RAM speeds and timings via SPD (Serial Presence Detect) or EPP (Enhanced Performance Profiles), and some even support changing the expected memory speed. If the expected memory speed is overclocked, Memtest86 can test that memory performance is error-free with these faster settings.

Some hardware is able to report the "PAT status" (PAT: enabled or PAT: disabled). This is a reference to Intel Performance acceleration technology; there may be BIOS settings which affect this aspect of memory timing.

This information, if available to the program, can be displayed via a menu option.

Any other questions, they can most likely be answered by reading this great guide here:

https://forum.canardpc.com/threads/28864-FAQ-please-read-before-posting

3. Connect the hard drive to another system and run chkdsk on it, connect it back after and try again.

4. Contact iBuyPower and let them know your system suddenly out of the blue is experiencing hardware failure and will not POST.

Regards,

Patrick
Old 08-11-2012, 01:48 AM   #3
Registered Member

Had to have a friend help me out, but I'm pleased to say the problem is fixed. After trying other things first, we decided to use the Memtest86 you suggested and it worked. It turns out that one of my two RAM sticks had gone bad. Thanks for the information!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2012, 01:51 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

Thanks for the update, glad to hear you've found your issues!

You can mark your thread as solved by navigating to thread tools > mark as solved.

Regards,

Patrick
Closed Thread