Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

User Tag List

[SOLVED] BSOD 0xA - IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL while playing TitanFall

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] BSOD 0xA - IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL while playing TitanFall within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I have gotten this BSOD recently playing TitanFall. I have not experienced it any other time. Running a clean

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 04:45 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello,

I have gotten this BSOD recently playing TitanFall. I have not experienced it any other time. Running a clean install of the latest GeForce drivers. This computer was built in January and I have not noticed this BSOD until this week with TitanFall; during the TitanFall Beta and with older Nvidia drivers this did not occur either.

I've attached the "Windows7_Vista_jcgriff2" zip file for analysis, but Windows 8.1 does not allow me to run perfmon /report. It simply says "An error occured while attempting to generate the report. The operator or administrator has refused the request." despite my account being the administrator and CMD being opened with admin privileges. So if more information is needed because of this, please let me know.

Before I list specs, I just want to mention that 24 hour of Memtest86+ 5.0.1 yielded no errors.

Code:
 OS - Windows 8.1 Pro
 x64
 Originally installed OS: Windows 8 Pro
 I purchased this OS through my school and got a download link for the ISO from Microsoft.
 Age of system - January 2014 for most parts, PSU and one HDD were purchased in 2010.
 OS was installed in January 2014 after new computer assembly on a cleanly formatted SSD.

CPU - i5 4670K (no overclock)
 Video Card - Zotac GTX 670 2GB and EVGA GTX 670 2GB (SLI, no overclocks)
 MotherBoard - Asus Z87-A, latest BIOS (1802).
 Power Supply - Corsair TX750 V1, 750 Watts
Additional info: OCZ Agility 3 120GB (lastest firmware) SSD, Seagate Barracude 1TB HDD

System Manufacturer - Not a prebuilt. Was built manually.

Desktop computer.
Please let me know if any additional information is needed.

Thank you.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Windows7_Vista_jcgriff2.zip (837.4 KB, 98 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2014, 05:03 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hi,

The attached DMP file is of the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (a) bug check.

This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.

This bug check is issued if paged memory (or invalid memory) is accessed when the IRQL is too high. The error that generates this bug check usually occurs after the installation of a faulty device driver, system service, or BIOS.

------------

1. Uninstall Asus PC Probe ASAP.

2. Are you using OpenVPN/COMODO?

Regards,

Patrick
Old 03-18-2014, 10:41 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJB View Post
Hi,

The attached DMP file is of the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (a) bug check.

This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.

This bug check is issued if paged memory (or invalid memory) is accessed when the IRQL is too high. The error that generates this bug check usually occurs after the installation of a faulty device driver, system service, or BIOS.

------------

1. Uninstall Asus PC Probe ASAP.

2. Are you using OpenVPN/COMODO?

Regards,

Patrick
I don't know what Asus PC Probe is and I don't recall installing it? If I do have it, could you let me know how exactly to remove it? I see no such thing in Programs and Features.

To your second question, I do have a VPN (Private Internet Access). I am not really sure what all it installs, but I believe it does use OpenVPN. It is disabled and I am not connected through any VPN when titanfall is being played.

Thanks so much for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2014, 11:29 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

If you use Revo - Download Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Free and Full Download - Uninstall software, remove programs, solve uninstall problems

What do you have listed as far as Asus software goes?

Regards,

Patrick
Old 03-19-2014, 12:20 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
If you use Revo - Download Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Free and Full Download - Uninstall software, remove programs, solve uninstall problems

What do you have listed as far as Asus software goes?

Regards,

Patrick
Thanks for your continued support.

I installed Revo Uninstaller and took a look at what was there, and there is no ASUS software that is showing.

What I can tell you is that I did, at one point back in January, install ASUS AiSuite III. I then realized that I don't really need it, and uninstalled it. I also ran a file provided by ASUS that supposedly removes system services that AiSuite III installs, which I ran to remove those after uninstalling the program.

Is it possible that you are seeing some leftover traces of ASUS software in the zipped info? The only ASUS thing I can think of that I have installed is ASUS_AMDA00_ACPI from this page under "Utilities" https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z87A/#support which I have had since I built the computer. No other ASUS software should remain on the PC.

Let me know if you need any other information, as always.

Edit: Additionally, the AMDA00 thing from above doesn't appear to have any kind of uninstaller. I'm not sure what it is exactly since there's very little information about it, other than that it's for this particular ASUS motherboard, so I installed it when I was installing other things like Intel chipset drivers and etc. after initially building the PC.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:51 AM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

Thanks for the information, let's actually leave it for now and enable Driver Verifier:

Driver Verifier:

What is Driver Verifier?

Driver Verifier is included in Windows 8/8.1, 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 to promote stability and reliability; you can use this tool to troubleshoot driver issues. Windows kernel-mode components can cause system corruption or system failures as a result of an improperly written driver, such as an earlier version of a Windows Driver Model (WDM) driver.

Essentially, if there's a 3rd party driver believed to be at issue, enabling Driver Verifier will help flush out the rogue driver if it detects a violation.

Before enabling Driver Verifier, it is recommended to create a System Restore Point:

Vista - START | type rstrui - create a restore point
Windows 7 - START | type create | select "Create a Restore Point"
Windows 8 - Restore Point - Create in Windows 8

How to enable Driver Verifier:

Start > type "verifier" without the quotes > Select the following options -

1. Select - "Create custom settings (for code developers)"
2. Select - "Select individual settings from a full list"
3. Check the following boxes -
- Special Pool
- Pool Tracking
- Force IRQL Checking
- Deadlock Detection
- Security Checks (Windows 7 & 8)
- DDI compliance checking (Windows 8)
- Miscellaneous Checks
4. Select - "Select driver names from a list"
5. Click on the "Provider" tab. This will sort all of the drivers by the provider.
6. Check EVERY box that is NOT provided by Microsoft / Microsoft Corporation.
7. Click on Finish.
8. Restart.

Important information regarding Driver Verifier:

- If Driver Verifier finds a violation, the system will BSOD. To expand on this a bit more for the interested, specifically what Driver Verifier actually does is it looks for any driver making illegal function calls. When and/if this happens, system corruption occurs if allowed to continue. When Driver Verifier is enabled, it is monitoring all 3rd party drivers (as we have it set that way) and when it catches a driver attempting to do this, it will quickly flag that driver as being a troublemaker, and bring down the system safely before any corruption can occur.

- After enabling Driver Verifier and restarting the system, depending on the culprit, if for example the driver is on start-up, you may not be able to get back into normal Windows because Driver Verifier will detect it in violation almost straight away, and as stated above, that will cause / force a BSOD.

If this happens, do not panic, do the following:

- Boot into Safe Mode by repeatedly tapping the F8 key during boot-up.

- Once in Safe Mode - Start > Search > type "cmd" without the quotes.

- To turn off Driver Verifier, type in cmd "verifier /reset" without the quotes.
・ Restart and boot into normal Windows.

If your OS became corrupt or you cannot boot into Windows after disabling verifier via Safe Mode:

- Boot into Safe Mode by repeatedly tapping the F8 key during boot-up.

- Once in Safe Mode - Start > type "system restore" without the quotes.

- Choose the restore point you created earlier.

-- Note that Safe Mode for Windows 8 is a bit different, and you may need to try different methods: 5 Ways to Boot into Safe Mode in Windows 8 & Windows 8.1

How long should I keep Driver Verifier enabled for?

I recommend keeping it enabled for at least 24 hours. If you don't BSOD by then, disable Driver Verifier. I will usually say whether or not I'd like for you to keep it enabled any longer.

My system BSOD'd with Driver Verifier enabled, where can I find the crash dumps?

They will be located in %systemroot%\Minidump

Any other questions can most likely be answered by this article:
Using Driver Verifier to identify issues with Windows drivers for advanced users

Regards,

Patrick
Old 03-19-2014, 01:21 AM   #7
Registered Member

Ok thank you, I will run Verifier for 24 hours and report back after that (unless it BSODs immediately when I try this tomorrow, then I will report immediately.

Assuming it does not BSOD immediately, should I try running Titanfall with the verifier on?
Old 03-19-2014, 01:26 AM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

Sure, go ahead. It may lag a bit, but that's just due to verifier taxing the system.

Regards,

Patrick
Old 03-21-2014, 01:48 AM   #9
Registered Member

Hi Patrick, I've been running Verifier for just about 24 hours now with the settings you requested. I even played the game for about two hours with it on, though as you said it did cause lag. No crashing.

While I'm glad there hasn't been any crashing, it certainly makes me wonder what went wrong the first time...any thoughts?

Should I keep DV on or go ahead and turn it off?

I will do another round of Memtest86+ testing over the weekend to see if that results in anything.

Old 03-21-2014, 02:50 AM   #10
TSF Team, Emeritus

Thanks for the update.

Normally, I'd recommend disabling it, but let's keep it enabled for at least another 24 hrs.

Regards,

Patrick
Old 03-21-2014, 04:15 AM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks for the update.

Normally, I'd recommend disabling it, but let's keep it enabled for at least another 24 hrs.

Regards,

Patrick
Thanks for the advice. I will leave it on over the course of friday and saturday as i won't be home, which will give it quite a few extra hours of running time. I'll report back on sunday and let you know what occurred.

Thanks!
Old 03-21-2014, 04:40 AM   #12
TSF Team, Emeritus

Not a problem, I look forward to your update.

Regards,

Patrick
Old 03-23-2014, 10:09 PM   #13
Registered Member

Hi Patrick,

So the Verifier has been running for an additional few days (since my last post till now) and the computer has not crashed. Any ideas?

Old 03-23-2014, 10:34 PM   #14
Administrator
Manager, Microsoft Support
Acting Manager, Security
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP

Hi -

BSODs sometimes just happen due to a "perfect storm" set of circumstances. I have had at least 10 BSODs on my HP laptop since I purchased it in 2008.

I would suggest updating your networking drivers; one of which Patrick touched on when he asked about COMODO, VPN, etc...

Reports show:
Code:

Network Card(s):    2 NIC(s) Installed.

[01]: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
             Connection Name: Ethernet
             DHCP Enabled:    No
             IP address(es)
             [01]: 10.22.0.96
             [02]: fe80::188b:4ee8:605:aa1b

[02]: TAP-Win32 Adapter V9
             Connection Name: Local Area Connection
             DHCP Enabled:    Yes
             DHCP Server:     10.108.1.5
             IP address(es)
             [01]: 10.108.1.6
             [02]: fe80::5c7c:186b:1de7:6977 

Code:
tap0901.sys  Thu Nov 24 13:50:27 2011 (4ECE91F3)
Rt630x64.sys Thu Aug 15 02:23:59 2013 (520C73FF) 
The VPN driver is from 2011; Realtek NIC pre-dates Windows 8.1 by about a week.

Check for updates -
http://sysnative.com/drivers/driver.php?id=Rt630x64.sys
http://sysnative.com/drivers/driver.php?id=tap0901.sys

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`
Old 03-23-2014, 10:36 PM   #15
Administrator
Manager, Microsoft Support
Acting Manager, Security
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP

p.s. Turn Driver Verifier off.

From an Admin CMD prompt, type verifier /reset; then reboot.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:33 AM   #16
Registered Member

Thanks a lot for the tips. You are right - I did see a Realtek GBE driver a few days ago that is newer than what I have, and so I installed that.

As for the TAP-Win32 driver, it came with my VPN provider's latest software client, and I still seem to have the latest version of that.

I'll update this thread if I happen to run into this BSOD again, but for now I'll turn off Verifier. I may run some Memtests over the next few days and if anything shows up there I will also report back.

Thanks so much for your help JC and Patrick.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:48 AM   #17
TSF Team, Emeritus

My pleasure! Great work from John as well.

I'll go ahead and mark as solved, but please let us know if you crash again.

Regards,

Patrick
Closed Thread