Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

User Tag List

[SOLVED] BlueScreen Error Upon Sleeping or Shutting Down Laptop

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] BlueScreen Error Upon Sleeping or Shutting Down Laptop within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz, Intel64

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 03:06 PM   #1
Registered Member

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 6049 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000, -1988 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 584878 MB, Free - 114018 MB;
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer Inc., U56E
Antivirus: MSE

Hello. I have recently began having a lot of issues with my laptop that I honestly have no clue how to solve. Primarily, I have two big issues.

One of which is that my laptop has recently (began about a week ago) my laptop has been unable to successfully go to sleep or shut down correctly. It gets hung up on the windows blue screen that states shutting down with a revolving circle for usually a minute or two before it crashes. On the BSOD I receive the error "Driver_Power_State_Failure". The same also occurs when putting it to sleep. My laptop then reboots normally and then upon login I am faced with a "windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown". I have .dmp files from these crashes (see attached), but am unsure how to view them because it says access is denied. Upon clicking "checking for solution" a loading bar shows, but then nothing ends up happening. Here is the info I receive upon reboot:

Quote:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 1000009f
BCP1: 0000000000000004
BCP2: 0000000000000258
BCP3: FFFFFA8005536040
BCP4: FFFFF80000B9C3D0
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1
Besides for that, the improper shutdowns do not seem to be affecting my computer's performance.

My second issue, which I don't think is related (perhaps it is though) is in regards to connecting to my wireless internet. I am unsure whether this is a software or a hardware issue at this point, but 4+ other computers have no issue connecting to the wifi so I am fairly certain the modem / router are working correctly. Basically, I feel like I am playing Russian Roulette with connecting from my laptop. Initially, my laptop connects perfectly fine to the wifi upon boot up, but then it will randomly disconnect and a ! will appear on my taskbar icon. When I open the Network and Sharing Center it will state the it is getting hung up at the "identifying..." process. I will then "troubleshoot" the problem which will take a concerning long time only to return with a couple of different results (I have no idea why these vary). Either it will state that windows can not find a solution and the taskbar icon will turn into what looks like an ethernet plug with a red X on top of it, or the troubleshoot will return with results stating the the "wireless connection adapter and the LAN adapter are disabled" and it will allow me the administrative action of enabling these. Upon re-enabling them, my laptop will again connect completely fine... until the whole cycle repeats itself. And another possible result I get upon troubleshooting is that "the default gateway is not available". Whenever the first or third results occur from troubleshooting the only solution I have found is to restart my laptop (upon which the ABOVE issue occurs) and try again to connect upon reboot.

Here some pictures of the troubleshooting results:

Initial results I receive after directly plugging into the ethernet cable:

Results of troubleshooting if I choose to "skip this step" and not plug into an ethernet cable:

Upon clicking "Try these repairs as administrator":

I have ran Malwarebytes, MSE, defragmented, and cleaned out all my temp files, so in the slim chance it was some type of virus/cookie/malware then it isn't that.

I am unsure of what initiated either of these issues as my laptop was working completely fine about two weeks ago when I was at school. I have attempted a lot of solutions to this problem, including an update of all my drivers (which I found my wireless driver was outdated) but updating the driver did not resolve the issue.

Any help would be amazing because I am growing concerned and have no idea to solve these issues.
Attached Files
File Type: rar Minidump.rar (325.3 KB, 26 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2012, 05:09 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hello and welcome to TSF!

All of the attached dumps are of the 9F: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE bugcheck, which essentially means there's a driver in an inconsistent power state (happens sometimes during sleep, shutdown, etc).

dtsoftbus01.sys is listed in your loaded drivers list, this is the Daemon Tools driver and should be uninstalled. Optional visualization programs are: Power ISO, Magic ISO, Img Burn, etc.

We're going to likely need to enable Driver Verifier to catch said 3rd party driver -

Driver Verifier:
Quote:
What is Driver Verifier?

Driver Verifier is included in Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 to promote stability and reliability; you can use this tool to troubleshoot driver issues. Windows kernel-mode components can cause system corruption or system failures as a result of an improperly written driver, such as an earlier version of a Windows Driver Model (WDM) driver.

Essentially, if there's a 3rd party driver believed to be at issue, enabling Driver Verifier will help flush out the rogue driver by flagging it and causing your system to BSOD.

Before enabling Driver Verifier, it is recommended to create a System Restore Point:

Vista - START | type rstrui - create a restore point

Windows 7 - START | type create | select "Create a Restore Point"

How to enable Driver Verifier:

Start > type "verifier" without the quotes > Select the following options -

1. Select - "Create custom settings (for code developers)"

2. Select - "Select individual settings from a full list"

3. Check the following boxes -

- Special Pool

- Pool Tracking

- Force IRQL Checking

- Deadlock Detection

- Security Checks (Windows 7)

- Concurrentcy Stress Test (Windows 8)

- DDI compliance checking (Windows 8)

- Miscellaneous Checks

4. Select - "Select driver names from a list"

5. Click on the "Provider" tab. This will sort all of the drivers by the provider.

6. Check EVERY box that is NOT provided by Microsoft / Microsoft Corporation.

7. Click on Finish.

8. Restart.

Important information regarding Driver Verifier:

- If Driver Verifier finds a violation, the system will BSOD.

- After enabling Driver Verifier and restarting the system, depending on the culprit, if for
example the driver is on start-up, you may not be able to get back into normal Windows
because Driver Verifier will flag it, and as stated above, that will cause / force a BSOD.

If this happens, do not panic, do the following:

- Boot into Safe Mode by repeatedly tapping the F8 key during boot-up.

- Once in Safe Mode - Start > type "system restore" without the quotes.

- Choose the restore point you created earlier.

If you did not set up a restore point, do not worry, you can still disable Driver Verifier to get
back into normal Windows:

- Start > Search > type "cmd" without the quotes.

- To turn off Driver Verifier, type in cmd "verifier /reset" without the quotes.

- Restart and boot into normal Windows.

How long should I keep Driver Verifier enabled for?

It varies, many experts and analysts have different recommendations. Personally, I recommend
keeping it enabled for at least 36-48 hours. If you don't BSOD by then, disable Driver Verifier.

My system BSOD'd, where can I find the crash dumps?

They will be located in C:\Windows\Minidump

Any other questions can most likely be answered by this article:

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/244617

Regards,

Patrick
Old 08-12-2012, 02:22 AM   #3
Registered Member

Ahhh beautiful! So that was the perpetrator that was causing me so many headaches. I have uninstalled it and will look into a more stable alternate imaging software that you recommended.

Do you think the resolution to the BSOD here will help improve my connectivity issues I am having to my wifi? It seems a bit more stable currently, but it could just be me making things up in my head.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2012, 02:50 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hi,

Your BSOD issues may have been completely unrelated, but we have a network section here. Once you're all solved, you can head over there for help regarding your connectivity issues :)

Regards,

Patrick
Old 08-12-2012, 10:11 PM   #5
Registered Member

Hey Patrick, I am back again :(

I posted in the network subforum in regards to my connectivity issues and have been receiving help there, but unfortunately I lost my connection again tonight.

In summary, my connection was fine and I had been able to put my laptop to sleep/restart/shut down without getting the BSOD but tonight when I moved my laptop from my room to the living room I lost my connection. Immediately after losing my connection I tried to reboot my computer only to receive the same BSOD error that I was getting before. I still have Daemon Tools completely uninstalled from my laptop, so I guess that was not the issue?

Anyways, here is the link to the thread I have in networking subforum if you think there is anything useful in there that may help solve this issue, and I also attached my most recent .dmp file from this crash.

https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...ty-660373.html

I appreciate your help.
Attached Files
File Type: rar 081312-30092-01.rar (40.4 KB, 20 views)
Old 08-12-2012, 10:35 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hi,

The latest attached dump is a 9F: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE bugcheck, which essentially means that there's a driver in an inconsistent power state from sleep mode, shut down, etc. Again, same as the previous dump(s).

The dump isn't telling us what that driver is, and there's no stopped up irp to check, so we're going to need to enable Driver Verifier again.

Regards,

Patrick
Old 08-13-2012, 10:54 AM   #7
Registered Member

I think I got a .dmp file while having the verifier on finally.

Take a look at this file and let me know? Thanks again for your help.
Attached Files
File Type: rar 081312-18829-01.rar (55.0 KB, 20 views)
Old 08-13-2012, 03:16 PM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hi,

I don't believe the latest dump you've attached is verifier flagged. Can you double check to ensure it's enabled?

Regards,

Patrick
Old 08-13-2012, 03:29 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJB View Post
Hi,

I don't believe the latest dump you've attached is verifier flagged. Can you double check to ensure it's enabled?

Regards,

Patrick
I am unsure how to check if it is enabled, but I just ran verifier.exe and set up all the settings that you had previously told me to and just now restarted my laptop. So it should be set and ready for next time I get a BSOD, correct? Or am I missing something?
Old 08-13-2012, 03:40 PM   #10
TSF Team, Emeritus

As long as you did that, you should be good to go! :)

Regards,

Patrick
Old 08-14-2012, 02:58 AM   #11
Registered Member

I received new results tonight after a BSOD when throubleshooting. Attached are an image of the troubleshooting as well as two BSOD dmp files, hopefully they will have enough info to get an answer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture5.PNG
Views:	72
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	114441  
Attached Files
File Type: rar dmp files.rar (94.0 KB, 20 views)
Old 08-14-2012, 04:25 AM   #12
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hi,

The latest attached dumps are of the 9F: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE bugcheck, which essentially means that there's a driver in an inconsistent power state from sleep mode, shut down, etc. Again, same as the previous dump(s).

I've told you to enable it twice, are you having issues anywhere enabling it and require help?

Regards,

Patrick
Old 08-14-2012, 09:00 AM   #13
Registered Member

I swear I am enabling it! I go through the GUI and select exactly what has been written earlier and when I click "finish" it prompts me to restart and I do.

I'm not sure what I am doing incorrectly in that process...

I just did that right now, and now I am restarting my laptop.

EDIT: Just finished rebooting and everything went smoothly. So verifier should be set up for next time I get the BSOD?

I'm sorry my amateurism with computers is showing through currently.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture7.PNG
Views:	64
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	114459   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture8.PNG
Views:	60
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	114460  
Attached Images

Old 08-14-2012, 09:57 AM   #14
Registered Member

The crash just happened again. I lost internet connection, and before I shut down my laptop (because I knew that it was gonna get hung up and BSOD at the "shutting down" screen) I double-checked to make certain that verifier was setup. When I went through verifier I got this final prompt attached stating that no settings were changed.

I then told my laptop to shut down and proceeded to get the BSOD. Upon restart I took the most recent dmp file from the crash and it is attached here. I really am certain I am following your instructions correctly?

Anyways, the dmp from the most recent BSOD is attached.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture9.PNG
Views:	68
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	114464  
Attached Files
File Type: rar 081412-20186-01.rar (40.9 KB, 23 views)
Old 08-14-2012, 03:55 PM   #15
TSF Team, Emeritus

Very odd... you seem to have set it up correctly, but none of the dumps you're attaching are verifier enabled, they're always 9F: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE bugchecks. I've never seen this before, so I'll have to contact one of my fellow experts and get back to you.

Regards,

Patrick
Old 08-15-2012, 06:24 PM   #16
Registered Member

Thanks for your help so far, hopefully one of your friends can help us both figure this one out!
Old 08-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #17
TSF Enthusiast

My System

It sounds like your wireless drivers have become corrupted. Reinstall your wireless drivers using the following steps:
  1. First, download the latest driver from ASUS - Notebooks- ASUS U56E. Then do the next steps.
  2. Click Start Menu
  3. Right Click My Computer/Computer
  4. Click Manage
  5. Click Device Manager from the list on the left
  6. Expand Network adapters
  7. Right click the wireless device
  8. Click Uninstall (do not click OK in the dialog box that pops up after hitting Uninstall)
  9. Put a tick in Delete driver software for this device (if this option is available, otherwise just hit OK) and hit OK
  10. Restart your computer only if Windows asks you to.
  11. Install the latest driver for the device.

Alternatively:
  1. Login as an adminstrative user.
  2. First, download the latest driver from ASUS - Notebooks- ASUS U56E. Then do the next steps.
  3. Click Start Menu
  4. Click Control Panel
  5. Click Hardware and Sound
  6. Click Device Manager (the last link under Devices and Printers)
  7. Expand Network adapters
  8. Right click the wireless device
  9. Click Uninstall (do not click OK in the dialog box that pops up after hitting Uninstall)
  10. Put a tick in Delete driver software for this device (if this option is available, otherwise just hit OK) and hit OK
  11. Restart your computer only if Windows asks you to.
  12. Install the latest driver for the device.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:07 AM   #18
Registered Member

I just reinstalled the driver and it is version 15.1.1.1 for the Intel Centrino Wireless-N 6150 card. I am pretty sure that is the most up to date version.

I am connected to the internet now, but I will let you know how it works out.

Thanks
Old 08-17-2012, 12:25 PM   #19
TSF Enthusiast

My System

You're welcome. Look forward to your next report after you have had a chance to do your normal routine for a while.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:28 AM   #20
Registered Member

Just a quick update. I have yet to receive a BSOD since the sixteenth! I think reinstalling and replacing my driver software might have fixed that pesky error I was dealing with.

I am still having issues with keeping a connection, sporadically my laptop will lose the connection and not be able to reconnect until I reboot my laptop (the troubleshoot function won't resolve this).

But, since this is the BSOD sub forum, I may hop back on over to my thread I currently have going in the Networking subforum and see what type of help I can get there.

Thanks again for both of you guys' help; your patience and support were amazing!
Closed Thread