User Tag List

regular BSOD

This is a discussion on regular BSOD within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all Getting a regular BSOD and can't see any obvious pattern or cause. I don't know anything about reading

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 09:46 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi all

Getting a regular BSOD and can't see any obvious pattern or cause. I don't know anything about reading .dmp reports and analysing to find problem. Appears it might be related to mv91xx.sys driver but to be honest I have no clue. Any help very much appreciated.

Cheers

win 7 home premium
64-bit
(only operating system that's been installed)
full retail version
system is roughly 8 months old (Aug 2011), home build
os has not been re-installed since

cpu - Intel i7 2600k 3.4ghz
videocard - PowerColor HD 6850 SCS3 Silent
mb - Asus P8Z68-V PRO
power-supply - Antec CP-850 (850W)
os installed on - Corsair 120GB Force 3 SSD
ram - 4 x 4GB G-Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600MHz CL9
Attached Files
File Type: zip BSOD info.zip (3.81 MB, 128 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2012, 08:36 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Support Visiting Expert
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Send a message via Skype™ to zigzag3143

It is Related to mv91xx.sys magni Windows Driver from Marvell Semiconductor, Inc. I would re-install newest driver available

These might be contributing factors in the crashes.

AiChargerPlus.sys 11/8/2010 2:48:26 AM
BazisVirtualCDBus.sys 8/8/2011 2:11:12 PM
se64a.sys 5/3/2007 1:50:31 AM

How To Find Drivers:
Quote:
- search Google for the name of the driver
- compare the Google results with what's installed on your system to figure out which device/program it belongs to
- visit the web site of the manufacturer of the hardware/program to get the latest drivers (DON'T use Windows Update or the Update driver function of Device Manager).
- if there are difficulties in locating them, post back with questions and someone will try and help you locate the appropriate program.
- - The most common drivers are listed on this page: Driver Reference Driver Reference
- - Driver manufacturer links are on this page: Drivers and Downloads

Team ZigZag3143
MS-MVP Consumer Expert 2010-2016
MCC 2013-2016
Wanikiya & Dyami

Old 03-31-2012, 04:41 AM   #3
Visiting Expert
Microsoft Support Team

Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V PRO
Quote:
Intel® Z68 chipset :
2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), gray

4 x SATA 3Gb/s port(s), blue
Support Raid 0, 1, 5, 10
Support Intel® Smart Response Technology on 2nd generation Intel® Core™ processor family

Marvell® PCIe SATA 6Gb/s controller : *2
2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), navy blue
Your motherboard will allow you the option of connecting the SSD to the Intel Z68 controller instead of the Marvell controller. That will most probably fix the issue with your system crashing and the crash dumps pointing to the Marvel drivers, which is caused by attempting to use a Marvell controller with an SSD: It just doesn't work successfully as can be seen by the large number of systems suffering exactly the same problem!

Try using the Intel controller and please let us know if that fixes your problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2012, 06:16 AM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks a lot for replying guys!

I'm pretty sure I have the Corsair SSD connected to an intel z68 port already. However I also have one 1TB and one 2TB HDD (Western Digital Caviar Green sata 6Gb/s) on the build and have been running one of these through the Marvell controller.

Am going to try and get hold of the updated driver first - I don't know if it will make much difference to speed switching one of the WD drives to a sata 3gb/s port (I doubt I'd really notice) but it would be nice to know I can use the Marvell controller if I get any other sata 6gb/s devices that might benefit from it.

If I can't get the new driver or it doesn't solve the issue I'll definitely just switch the ports I use.

Thanks again for your help! I'll keep you updated on how things go
Old 03-31-2012, 08:45 AM   #5
Registered Member

Latest driver on the Asus website (Marvell SATA 6G AHCI Driver V1.0.0.1045 for Windows XP/Vista/7 32bit & 64bit) appeared to be the same as the version I had installed (I installed it again anyway just to be on the safe side).

Can't seem to find a newer driver on Marvell website or anywhere else so I'm gonna go ahead and move the HDD to one of the 3gb/s intel ports.

I'll post back in a few days if this appears to solve the problem, or of course if I meet another BSOD

Thanks for your help
Old 04-02-2012, 05:20 AM   #6
Registered Member

Avoiding use of the Marvell ports does seem to have solved the problem. Thanks again for your help guys
Old 04-03-2012, 04:53 AM   #7
Visiting Expert
Microsoft Support Team

Unfortunately that seems to be the only option that works in a lot of cases. Thanks for letting us know about it.

If your issue has been resolved satisfactorily, please mark this thread as "Solved" by using the Thread Tools drop-down menu (above your first post) and selecting "Mark this thread as solved".

Good luck.
Closed Thread