Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

User Tag List

Random computer crash while playing games

This is a discussion on Random computer crash while playing games within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I am getting random pc crashes while playing some pc games. I can ussually play around 0.5 - 1

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 12:30 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, I am getting random pc crashes while playing some pc games. I can ussually play around 0.5 - 1 hour till it crashes. When it crashes, computer will freeze and I see only black screen. Reset button on computer will not work, so I have to hold power button to turn it off and then on again. It happenes only in games with higher system requirements (happened in Dota2, Portal2, new Simcity). It doesn't crash in Company of Heroes or Fallout New Vegas (played 50 hours without crash).
I also sometime gets slight screen flickering when watching flash video on fullscreen (youtube or twitch.tv) and rarely, when I open a video file, my screen freeze (something like this: https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3405/...97f01ebf_o.jpg). However, after pressing ALT+F4 a couple of times, it returnes to normal.

I tried:
-running memtest a couple of times with no errors
-removing 1 memmory card to see if the other is faulty and then swapping them
-reinstalling windows (upgrade, not clean installation)
-the temperatures are ok (60C on CPU, 65C on GPU while playing some game)
-HW Monitor showed low voltage for +12V (only +4V), but I checked in BIOS and it showed 12.4V
-also tried this: Crash Reports - Read - Windows 7 Help Forums but it never created any crash report

OS - Windows 7 Proffesional SP1
x64
This was original OS installed on my system
It's a version I got for free from university (Microsoft DreamSpark)
8 month
8 month, tried to reinstall (upgrade) last week, but it didn't help
Intel Core i5-3570K
Gigabyte Radeon 7850
GIGABYTE Z77-D3H
Seasonic SS-500ET-F3 500W

Thank you for any help.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Windows7_Vista_jcgriff2.zip (2.21 MB, 43 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2013, 07:19 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

You may want to install your AMD drivers without the Catalyst Control Center/Vision Engine Control Center software. Download the version of AMD drivers that you want to install, and then do the following steps.
  • Start the installation program to install your drivers and AMD software. When you get to the option to Express/Custom install, cancel the installation. Your drivers should now exist in C:\AMD\Support\xx-x_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc where the x's replace your version number of the driver software.
  • Uninstall all AMD software related to your graphics card by uninstalling AMD Catalyst Install Manager in Start Menu -> Control Panel -> Uninstall a program
  • If AMD Catalyst Install Manager is not listed, use the following method to uninstall the graphics drivers:
    1. Click Start Menu
    2. Right Click My Computer/Computer
    3. Click Manage
    4. Click Device Manager from the list on the left
    5. Expand Display adapters
    6. Do the following for each adapter (in case you have multiple display cards)
      • Right click the adapter
      • Click Uninstall (do not click OK in the dialog box that pops up after hitting Uninstall)
      • Put a tick in Delete driver software for this device (if this option is available, otherwise just hit OK) and hit OK
    Alternatively:
    1. Login as an adminstrative user
    2. Click Start Menu
    3. Click Control Panel
    4. Click Hardware and Sound
    5. Click Device Manager (the last link under Devices and Printers)
    6. Expand Display adapters
    7. Do the following for each adapter (in case you have multiple display cards)
      • Right click the adapter
      • Click Uninstall (do not click OK in the dialog box that pops up after hitting Uninstall)
      • Put a tick in Delete driver software for this device (if this option is available, otherwise just hit OK) and hit OK
  • Restart your computer.
  • Re-install your drivers from the C:\AMD\Support\xx-x_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc folder. See You cannot install a device driver by using its installation program in Windows Vista and scroll down for steps to manually install the driver.
    Quote:
    To locate the .inf file and manually install the driver

-----
Old 03-13-2013, 10:11 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice. I uninstalled current driver and manually installed some older one (catalyst 12.8). I will let you know if it helped or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2013, 08:28 AM   #4
Registered Member

Well unfortunatelly it didn't help. I tried to manually install several versions. It kept crashing with each one. I also tried to unistall drivers, use driver cleaner to remove all driver files and install new one, also didn't help. But I noticed that in device manager, there is some problem with audio drivers. I will try to reinstall them and see if it helps.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:59 PM   #5
Registered Member

Ok, it didn't help either.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:07 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Do you know anyone with a display card you could borrow to determine whether it is the card that is faulty or other hardware?

If you borrow an NVIDIA card, make sure to remove all AMD software before using it, and remove all NVIDIA software before swapping back.
Uninstall or change a program

Just noticed you have an on-board display device. Any problems when you use it instead?

-----
Closed Thread