Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

User Tag List

Random BSODs, ntoskrnl.exe related

This is a discussion on Random BSODs, ntoskrnl.exe related within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I am constantly having crashes to the BSOD at random intervals. My computer had been working fine until a

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 11:28 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,

I am constantly having crashes to the BSOD at random intervals. My computer had been working fine until a couple of weeks or so ago when I started having BSODs left and right. After getting frustrated I reinstalled windows in the hopes of removing whatever might have been the problem but the BSODs have started up again. It happens with the greatest frequency when playing games, but it also has occurred while installing things and a few times when I wasn't doing anything at all.

I've been using BlueScreenView to try and figure out the reason for the BSODs, and typically it says the crashes were caused by ntoskrnl.exe. I don't have Service Pack 1 because I got a BSOD while downloading it via Windows Update and now the download can't seem to get past 0%. Some of the dumps were created when I had driver verifier on. I turned verifier on after getting numerous BSODs even after reinstalling windows and using DriverFinder to make sure my drivers were all accounted for. I had to turn the verifier off because i could barely use my computer due to it causing 3 BSODs in like 5 minutes or whatever.

I did run Memtest86+ before I reinstalled Windows and there were no reported errors and I'm pretty sure i've used Windows' chkdisk on all my drives, so at the moment I have no idea what's wrong. I even cleaned the dust out of my computer to make sure it wasn't just overheating but it seems like that didn't help. I will follow the instructions on memory and hard disk diagnostic checks and post my results when I finish.

PC SPECS

OS - Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
There was no OS on the system when I got it. I ordered the computer from CyberPower without a copy of Windows 7 because I already owned one.
Currently I'm using the upgrade version of Windows 7 Professional purchased as a digital download from the Microsoft store online. When I got my computer I first installed a disc version of Windows XP I got when I purchased one of my previous computers, then upgraded it to Windows 7 using a disc burned with an .iso of my copy of windows 7.
Due to the crashes, I recently reinstalled Windows (probably around a week ago) but am still getting BSODs.
CPU: Intel Core i7 970
Memory: 12Gb: 6 x 2GB DDR3 / 1600 MHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R Rev. 2.0
Power Supply: Corsair CMPSU-1000HX (1000W)
Attached Files
File Type: zip doomhound_bsod_0.zip (964.3 KB, 19 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2012, 01:01 PM   #2
TSF - Enthusiast

OS: Windows 8 Ent, Server 2012, 2012R2, Server 2008 R2 Stnd,

My System

Hi Welcome to TSF

Looking at your mini dump files here what I have found

Quote:
Image name: Wdf01000.sys
Timestamp: Mon Jul 13 16:22:07 2009 (4A5BC19F)
Image name: gdrv.sys
Timestamp: Thu Mar 12 20:22:29 2009 (49B9D175)
Driver Reference Table

(is your computer overclocked?) if so please STOP! and revert your motherboard to factory settings
Download all latest drivers for your motherboard from Gigabyte's website Install those drivers while you are in safe mode in windows
Reboot after each driver install and keep going into Safe mode

You can use another computer to download the Service pack for windows 7 from here
Download: Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 (KB976932) - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details
transfer it to that computer with USB or DVD media

If you have Easy Tune installed please Uninstall Easy Tune 6
Memory Test
Old 07-27-2012, 01:28 PM   #3
Registered Member

Originally my computer was overclocked, but before I reinstalled windows I made Easy Tune 6 revert everything to factory default. That one dump with gdrv occured soon after i inserted the disc that came with the motherboard and before i even was able to select what i wanted to install. Somehow the file just automatically got into my computer and promptly caused a bluescreen. I looked up problems related to the gdrv file and went with one solution which was to rename it, considering I have no intention of overclocking. I'm not 100% certain Easy Tune actually stopped the overclocking though now that you mention it, but at the moment I don't have it installed and haven't actually looked at the bios settings myself.

Currently however I am in the process of using Memtest. This time running it (version 4.0a) it reported errors and now I am testing each stick individually. So far I've got one stick apparently working fine and another with errors. Could those bsods be caused by corrupt memory?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2012, 01:31 PM   #4
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Yes memory corruption can cause BSODs

As for overclocking, best way to factory default the system is go into BIOS and under Exit Tab choose the option of "Reset Defaults"
Save and exit
Memory Test
Old 07-27-2012, 02:09 PM   #5
Registered Member

There was no setting in the bios to return it to just "default". There were two default options, "fail-safe" and "optimized". I set it to fail-safe defaults, though I am not sure if optimized means overclocked or if is actually the true default and fail-safe is some sort of safe mode for the bios. I am still testing my memory sticks. So far 2 of the 6 sticks have shown errors. One had somewhere around 50 maybe after 3 passes, the other was up to at least 7000 errors within the first 10% of the first pass.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:20 PM   #6
Registered Member

According to the manual, neither of the two defaults seem to indicate overclocking. Fail-safe is "for the most stable, minimal-performance system operations" and optimized is "for optimal-performance system operations"... It would seem to me optimized might be the actual default but I'm not really sure.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:06 PM   #7
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Lets go with Fail safe for troubleshooting

As for memory errors yes 7000 errors on a single stick indicates that memory module is bad I hope its under warranty and you can RMA it
Memory Test
Old 07-27-2012, 04:34 PM   #8
Registered Member

I've pretty much figured out that two of my six memory sticks were corrupt but none of the slots on the mobo were, so now I'm running some passes of memtest with the four remaining sticks plugged in. They are no longer under warranty as far as I can tell, so it seems I will have to see what the loss of 4Gb of RAM does.

Any advice on what to do upon starting Windows up again? The BSODs came randomly so I can't think of a way to test if removing the corrupt memory has actually fixed the problem besides just returning to regular use and waiting for a BSOD.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:20 AM   #9
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Best way to start off with one stick of RAM which is known good

Turn driver verifier on to make sure that BSODs were not driver related
https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...ed-473665.html

Use the system with Driver verifier on for couple of days and if you get a BSOD post the files here
System will run a little sluggish when driver verifier is on
Memory Test
Closed Thread